Is it really a lager yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemok

Reaction score
I've just had a look in the cap of my morgans blue mountain lager kit and the yeast supplied says its a lager yeast is there anything I can look for when its in the FV that'll tell me if it actually is a lager yeast or not?

Lager yeasts are bottom fermenting and will ferment at lower temperatures.

I've just brewed a couple of lagers and I have found that you don't get the big frothy head that you get with a good and active ale yeast (something like US-05).

Morgans Lager Yeast is produced in the Queensland city of Toowoomba by a company called Mauri. They produce vast amounts of yeast for the baking industry but also do "Mauribrew" beer and wine yeasts as a sideline. You can download a pdf with the yeast specs here:

http://www.maurivinyeast.com/y.aspx?id=15&menu=open&parentid=286&menuid=324

In Australia you can buy Morgans Lager, and Ale yeast separately in local home brew stores. I find it doesn't ferment as 'clean' as many lager yeasts such as W 34/70 but it can be fermented at ale temperatures to give a passable lager in a quarter of the time of a traditional lager.

Bribie said:
In Australia you can buy Morgans Lager, and Ale yeast separately in local home brew stores. I find it doesn't ferment as 'clean' as many lager yeasts such as W 34/70 but it can be fermented at ale temperatures to give a passable lager in a quarter of the time of a traditional lager.

I have found that if you get a true lager strain of yeast, pitch at 13 deg and hold at 15deg C it will ferment out as quick as an ale yeast, and give you a very clean tasting beer.

If you want to speed up conditioning, once fermentation is about done, chill your FV for 3 days then once you have kegged/bottled, and allowed for the secondary for a few more days at fermenting temp, chill again, (put keg/bottles in fridge), you should be able to get a very passable lager in around 5 weeks this way.

UP

Lager yeast is used to ferment beer at cold temperatures and it's actually the secret behind the lager beer which was discovered by Germans where in fact, this yeast is found to be originated from Argentina. For decades, scientists have been trying to figure out where lager yeast came from before it was used in Germany during the 16th century to brew lager-style beers. A five-year search of the globe found the yeast might be from Argentina. I actually found it here: Origins of lager yeast traced to Argentina. Lager beers, according to Wikipedia, take more than a month to ferment at cold temperatures yet lager is the most popular style of beer in the world.

Latest posts

Back