Can not find anyone who done this

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tubthumper

Regular.
Reaction score
I was in tesco today looking at the friut juices in the soft drinks isle not cold ones
and picked up ared grape juice and then ummed and awed at what to do with it so I plumped for prune juice , anyone ever tried this or will I be the first on the board to do so?

You may be the first on this forum, I haven't tried it myself yet, but I know from my other forum that it has been used successfully :thumb:

found 1 reference to wurzel prune but no recipie onthe other forum your on
seems odd no one admits to do this as a book I borrowed fromlibary has a prune wine recipie but not from juice and no grape added. and supposed to be nice port like wine just long time to mature ( frezer trick maybee)

was just going to add the juices to dj and follow a wurzel without the orange should be the same as its supermarket juices but will check the OG before I add the sugar

Don't know about prune juice wine, but my mates dad used to make fig and rosehip wine with Tokai yeast.

That did go through you like train!!!!!!! I would imagine prune wine would give the same results.

UP

here we go this recipe is adapted from some ive found online any input will be greatly appreciated
1.4kg prunes
600g raisins
1 lt prune juice
1.5kg sugar
pectolyse
campden tab
nutrient
champagne yeast

wash,chop and freeze prunes and raisins
add to primary with juice and 2l water,pecto,and campden tabs
leave for 2 days and then add 1kg sugar yeast & nutrient
ferment for 5-6? days
strain and transfer to a dj
top up with rest of sugar and water

what do you think im aiming for a port type wine
thanks

Never tried Prune before, but 30+ years ago my neighbour (who got me started in home winemaking and later full-mash brewing), knocked-up some Senna Pod wine. It WAS unusual...and you daren't cough after drinking it ;)

ive got it going now with a few changes no prune juice tins of blackcurrant instead
and 1kg of prunesput it all in fv.yeast goes in tomorrow but smells great at the mo

Still playing with supermarket juice combinations, I've got 5L of white grape & prune and 5L of red grape & prune, started on Sunday and popping away quite merrily.

I will let you know how they turn out. :cheers:

so racked it acouple of days ago at 1010 and added sugar upto 1040 and then again today upto 1030 and its still going strong and smells delish

my prune and grape been in demijohn for about 2 weeks now and still poping along quite merrily toped up as no big froth with ashbeck from tesco.also got the summerfriut and did at same time and thats still popoing away merrily.
will check whith hyrdrometer in a few days maybee weekend. and see waht its got to
.Recipie
1Ltr apple juice
1Ltr red grape
1Ltr prune juice
1Kg white sugar
1½ tsp yeast ( harris super yeast)
½tsp Tannin
1tsp Nuitremnts
1tsp Pectiin enzymins
1tsp glyserine

Back