ATC800

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parva

Regular.
Reaction score
I'm in no rush to go this route yet but I see ATC800 popping up all over in the automation stakes and I'm just trying to educate myself a bit before I progress. This popped up in another forum elsewhere :-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATC-800-DIGIT...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14

I see it has 2x 4 socket outlets. I'm guessing that one of the 4x sockets is for the cold side and the other 4x sockets is for the hot side and the probe goes into the wort or whatever. Presumably the too cold side triggers the sockets that power the heater(s) and the too hot side triggers the cooling?

I can see how the 'too cold' side would be ideal for a kegorator but that's only one socket out of eight in total. Am I missing something here? Can the ATC800 control far more than just a single hot/cold temperature? If so then what's the use of all the extra sockets?

I can't see the point of all those sockets either. The cooling side is only rated to 10 Amps and the heating side to 25, and using them for the proper purpose of controlling temperatures in an aquarium only requires two sockets anyway . . . I suppose you could use it for a bunch of 240V fans to recirculate air around a bloody huge cabinet.

You could also make the assumption that another fridge freezer in the same location would have the same temperature as the one you are controlling (A big assumption in my view), so you could control the temp in both . . . . but run the risk of blowing the cooling side relay when the compressors fire up . . . particularly in an outhouse when the ambient drops below about 10C and the lubricating oil thickens in the compressor housing.

Having the two 4 way blocks is just asking for trouble in my opinion - someone will thing they can plug several high power things and knacker it (or worse :shock: ).

The ATC800 does not need CE approval to be legally sold since it is a module that is incorporated into an end product by somoene else - these on the other hand are an end product and therefore have to be CE approved for sale in the EU. I wonder whether they are CE approved (very much doubt it :? ).

Damn good price though :whistle:

eskimobob said:
Do you reckon? I got my ATC800 for £19. Add a plastic box at a couple of quid, and two (as agreed, why?) 4G extension blocks (Screwfix £4.49 for 2) plus a bit of internal wiring and a plug = lots of profit! ;)

I bought my ATC 800 from the usual homebrew supplier of said items on e-bay.
I set mine to the MINIMUM setting of 5 deg c with a MINIMUM tolerance of +/- 1 deg c.

I came home to find the readout to be 2.6 deg c and the set point at 2 deg c :wha: :wha:

There is no way on earth I'd trust this item to regulate the temp of a tank full of expensive fish :shock:

EDIT that should read MAXIMUM tolerance above.

eskimobob said:
The ATC800 does not need CE approval to be legally sold since it is a module that is incorporated into an end product by somoene else - these on the other hand are an end product and therefore have to be CE approved for sale in the EU. I wonder whether they are CE approved (very much doubt it :? ).

Precisely my thought. This bloke's setting himself up for some serious **** if one goes bang and causes a fire.

/Phil.

BillyB said:
eskimobob said:
Do you reckon? I got my ATC800 for £19. Add a plastic box at a couple of quid, and two (as agreed, why?) 4G extension blocks (Screwfix £4.49 for 2) plus a bit of internal wiring and a plug = lots of profit! ;)

Ah but if you took your time into account, drilling, cutting, wiring etc - you'd not be making much profit I reckon.

who said he's got to do it himself when we've got all the eastern european workers willing to do it for less? :lol:

sweatshop springs to mind :hmm:

*please note i am saying this in jest. i've got nothing against our foreign workers here ;)*

Latest posts

Back