A modern Dark Mild, Mildly ammusing

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prodigal2

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewonaughts.
A couple of days ago I had my first brewday in 4 months. And when you are panic brewing there are 2 types of beer that fit the bill, a mild or Phils Hefe. Seeing as I had no wheat malt, and I think the tittle of the thread is a giveaway.
The Grist is one I have used before and the proportions are loosely based on Dave lines Amazing mild.
Mashed @66C for 70mins
boiled for 60mins

2.3kg pale malt
60grms roast barley
60grms chocolate
120grms crystal
40grms Amber
50grms TW

360grms Demerara sugar

18grms Challenger FWH
15grms Goldings @ 80C

S04
fermenting at19C

my target was 20L @ 1,040 I got 21L @ 1,038

I will be serving this from my 5L wine boxes and a few bottles for the Brown ale store.

Brew day had a few moments, I started late due to clients hassling me for stuff, my 5L jug disappearing, the replacement I went out and bought had a leak :evil: and to top it all I could not find my test jar for my hydro :cry: :evil:

This will be my first mild with S04, seeing as the last few have been with Nottingham, so I hope this should be a corker, on the last few milds I have mashed at 69C trying to compensate for the nottingham.

BrewStew said:
that looks like it'll be very full of flavour, all that different malt! :cool:

It is full of malty goodness, but its not to much, thanks to the sugar so it is a quaffable beer on a hot day. Also the the dark brown sugar gives a slight caramel flavour, which is pleasing. The hop flavour tends to only last for the first 2 months of its life, but hey its a mild.
I must admit I have really got into this style of beer of late, it may be my Brumie ancestry :roll: :lol:

If anyone is interested in this style at all the "Classic beer Styles Series, Mild Ale by David Sutula" makes really interesting reading, and is well worth buying. I personally prefer it to the Pale Ale book in the same series.

I would like to add the hoping technique is of my own bodging, but it has been well recieved :cool:

I like the look of that recipe, I was very pleased with the dark mild I did a few months back.

prodigal2 said:
it may be my Brumie ancestry :roll: :lol:

Nothing wrong with that ;)

Update

This is a cracking mild, and is evaporating at a rate(about 3litres a day) :drink:

A moderate hop flavour, a good maltiness with a slight creamy taste and mouthfeel.
And more importantly a real refreshing beer after working out in the Spanish summer.

All in all a result :cheers:

That sounds lovely P2 :drink:

I think I'll save that one away in Beersmith ;)

What does FWH stand for re the hops in the recipe?

First Wort Hopping, it's the practice of adding the runnings from the mash tun to the hops in the boiler before the boil starts.
It's said to increase roundness of hop flavour and increase aroma.

I've been doing this with my last few brews and I certainly think that it has been beneficial :)

Hello Frisp

I would say this is a great beer to do as it is quick beer to be ready (about 15 days from pitching your yeast).

I must admit the grist is very balanced to my tastes, and using a good brown sugar in books is a must. and if you leave a few beers bottled it turns into a pleasant brown ale after a couple of months that goes down just too easy.

The origins of the grist is from Dave lines "Amazing mild", although you would not recognise it as such. With the hoping it is born out of keeping them under 19 IBU(a pure guestimate as the math with FWH is inexact). And I am thinking of using cascade on my next mild as a trial. Also this is a food beer if you are watching you hop stocks.

I will say that if you don't have S04, use Nottingham and mash high(69C).

Oh and don't forget my figures are for 20L into the FV.

Enjoy
P2

Latest posts

Back