Woodfordes Wherry Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Drinking Wherry now from a corny. I think I must have overdone the priming DME or accidently added it twice. VERY, VERY over gassed. Apart from that, a great pint. I pimped it with DME and a hop tea and slung the yeast pack in favour of wilco's GV12. Have to make some more soon. I thought I'd have a go at Myqul's idea to harvest Shepard Neame's 1698 yeast, but that'll have to wait until August, after I've taken Mrs. Marlon on holiday. SWMBO takes priority in this house...(probably the best lady in the world).......

wish I never asked my misses to work out the abbreviation now :grin:

I lost the instructions, how much priming sugar did it say to add marlon? im a week away from bottling:-?

wish I never asked my misses to work out the abbreviation now :grin:

I lost the instructions, how much priming sugar did it say to add marlon? im a week away from bottling:-?

Yep..! As Larry F Says. 2.5g (1/2 teaspoon) per 500ml bottle. I used DME just because I had some in an open packet to use up. Still don't know what happened to the corny though, I can only think I must have doubled up somehow...

Guys/gals,

Just a noob question. I have a Woodfordes Wherry kit and I would like to get it on the go. If I start it off today and don't get chance to bottle it before I go on holiday (24th) would it be ok in the FV until I get back on the 8th August?

From what I read it should be fine, but would still like some advice.

Steve

Guys/gals,

Just a noob question. I have a Woodfordes Wherry kit and I would like to get it on the go. If I start it off today and don't get chance to bottle it before I go on holiday (24th) would it be ok in the FV until I get back on the 8th August?

Steve

That will be fine

Guys/gals,

Steve

Just make 100% sure the FV is sterile throughly and make sure the lid is tight. If it get contaminated it won't be any good. It would be better to put it into Demi Johns on the 23rd as it is safer from contamination in my opinion. I would avoid keeping it in the FV too long but it does get better with age so Demi Johns are a perfect soloution. But if you did leave it in the FV it would probably be alright.

Just make 100% sure the FV is sterile throughly and make sure the lid is tight. If it get contaminated it won't be any good. It would be better to put it into Demi Johns on the 23rd as it is safer from contamination in my opinion. I would avoid keeping it in the FV too long but it does get better with age so Demi Johns are a perfect soloution. But if you did leave it in the FV it would probably be alright.

Thanks for the advice. It's a minefield aint it! :lol:

Thanks for the advice. It's a minefield aint it! :lol:

It certainly is! My latest batch has just stuck a day after it started to ferment. I know that it prob would just start back on its own (or after some stirring) but I have just bit the bullet and bought some better yeast! Give it as long as you can before drinking it as I think it is at its best two months or more after you start it! I have just finished some I have had since Christmas :lol:

I really want to get a beer on but as we're doing work on the house I've not really got time for a new AG.

I've got a Wherry I've had for a while and was thinking of getting a 10 or 11 litre batch on using one can and some hops I've got spare. How do you think this would turn out?

1 x Wherry can
200g light DME (extra light if I can get it)
15 minute DME & hope boil with:
10g Cascade @ 15 mins
30g Citra @ 5 mins

I'll be using S05 for this.

Then dry hopping with another 30g-50g Citra mid ferment.

Happy for this to be an experiment, I'll probably be doing the tried and tested EKG method with the other can at some point.

seems to be a waste of such a large pack of yeast personally. with that amount of fermentatables. I'm not knocking the recipe though as its prob a cracker

Sorry, yeah should probably have said it's half a pack of "05 I've got left from a brew not long ago.

Sorry, yeah should probably have said it's half a pack of "05 I've got left from a brew not long ago.

ah ok, is that safe to do? ive never thought of halving a yeast pack im too concerned with bacteria but maybe im being over paranoid:mrgreen:

Bottled my first Wherry tonight, just over 3 weeks in FV - masses of trub, well compacted and almost no waste at all. No dramas during fermentation, but I did use the kit yeast + half sachet of G 12. Brewed short at 20litres, didn't take OG, but finished at 1012. Very clear already, and tasted great - was a bit worried about having brewed in high recent temps, but think I've got away with it . I primed with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar, but on reflection may have been a bit much as the (flat) sample from the FV was good. Should be a good session ale!:grin:

Hello all,
Last night I tried my first Wherry it having been bottled for 7 weeks and required quality control! I put two in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill a bit..one for myself and one for a mate I had round who only really drinks boddingtons or similar hogwash.
The Wherry cap popped with a satisfactory hiss and was poured carefully into a pint glass. It was a nice dark amber colour and absolutely clear of any cloudiness or haze,there was a lovely creamy head and a steady rise of carbonation in the glass.
Taste wise it's a cracker! No off tastes or aromas just enough bitterness subtle hops and a floral and citrus finish. Head retained to the bottom of the glass! I love it...so does my mate! To say I'm pleased with my first effort is an understatement!

Cheers
Clint

Hello all,
Last night I tried my first Wherry it having been bottled for 7 weeks and required quality control! I put two in the fridge for a couple of hours to chill a bit..one for myself and one for a mate I had round who only really drinks boddingtons or similar hogwash.
The Wherry cap popped with a satisfactory hiss and was poured carefully into a pint glass. It was a nice dark amber colour and absolutely clear of any cloudiness or haze,there was a lovely creamy head and a steady rise of carbonation in the glass.
Taste wise it's a cracker! No off tastes or aromas just enough bitterness subtle hops and a floral and citrus finish. Head retained to the bottom of the glass! I love it...so does my mate! To say I'm pleased with my first effort is an understatement!

Cheers
Clint
Good to hear you enjoyed it.
My experience with Wherry is that once it's clear its ready to drink so you may as well get stuck in because it really doesn't get that much better with age. Which is now the incentive you need to get your next brew going if its not already on its way. :thumb:

Thanks..got a stout conditioning. ..and 4 kits in the cupboard. Off to Wilko in the morning for another fv and will get 2 on the go this week. Just need to decide...

Cheers

Clint

Tasted mine for the first time too this afternoon :) I was concerned it might have had the home brew twang because it went up to 25 degrees during fermentation during our 3 day summer in July, thankfully Im pleased to say I needn't have worried :thumb:
This was my first brew too so I've got nothing to benchmark it against, it had two weeks in the FV and has had two in the bottle and has cleared lovely, the yeast stayed in the bottle nicely (didn't use the kit yeast) and so it was a lovely clear dark Amber colour with a reasonable head and nicely carbonated. I'm actually very pleased with the mouthfeel too, it has a good body and a nicely rounded malty flavour, the mild side of bitter and a gentle hop finish. All in all my expectations have been exceeded so far, i'm leaving it for two weeks in the garage now to condition a little longer and hopefully carbonate a little more. I used 100grammes of table sugar to batch prime, if the carbonation stays the same that'll be ok, but if that's the case then I'd probably prime with a little more next time.
Cheers
Si

Back