Woodforde's Wherry - Bulk Mature?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gippeswyk

Reaction score
Hi All

I am brewing a Woodforde's Wherry kit that has been bubbling away now for just over 2 weeks. I plan to bottle it between a mix of recycled pop bottles and some "Grolsch" type closure glass bottles.

Is it a good idea to rack off into a secondary FV and bulk mature for a week or so (as I do with Turbo Cider) to allow clearing?

There were no finings with the kit.

I am also planning to add the sugar to the bulk rather than prime each bottle before bottling.

Hi All

I am brewing a Woodforde's Wherry kit that has been bubbling away now for just over 2 weeks. I plan to bottle it between a mix of recycled pop bottles and some "Grolsch" type closure glass bottles.

Is it a good idea to rack off into a secondary FV and bulk mature for a week or so (as I do with Turbo Cider) to allow clearing?

There were no finings with the kit.

I am also planning to add the sugar to the bulk rather than prime each bottle before bottling.

Yes it is, especially with Wherry, which is notoriously slow to clear.
So racking will make a noticable difference.

Yes a week in secondary will help. If you have a stone floor anywhere, plonk it on there to get the temp down. This will help it condition.

I wouldn't leave it for much more than a week though. I try to avoid leaving for more than 3 weeks total before bottling just incase.

Hi markm - just in case what?
I've got a very stubborn batch of Wherry that I'm trying to get the gravity down before bottling. It must be over4 weeks now and I'm starting to worry that it won't be doing it any good being in the FV that long.

Too long on the yeast and it can pick up some off flavours. I had one for just over 3 weeks and it had a slight (really slight) soapy taste to it. I looked it up in how to brew and the flaw was attributed ti being in primary for too long. If you've transferred to secondary and got it off the dead yeast, it'll be ok for much longer, especially at lower temps. After all, lager is stored for months in secondary to clear.

What is your gravity?

Still stuck at 1018. I'm increasing the temp of the FV as a few people have recommended this as a way to get Wherry yeast restarted. Fingers crossed, but either way I think it's time to bottle this weekend, otherwise it will only be fit for the drain soon.

Have you checked your hydrometer in water?

Is it still in primary? Perhaps you could transfer to secondary if you're able. The movement may rouse the and atleast you'd be getting them off the dead yeast.

Only just seen your reply - thanks for the suggestions.
I have checked the hydrometer and it seems to be accurate - gave a true reading in water. The Wherry read 1.016 on Saturday so I have bottled it this evening. I'm hoping it's low enough not to create bottle bombs with the half teaspoon of priming sugar.

Will remember the tip about moving to a secondary if this happens again in the future.

Latest posts

Back