St Peter's Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colliefish

Regular.
Reaction score
Gonna start one of these probably tomorrow. Just come back from a Guinness tour in Dublin so my this brew (my third) should be really good :grin:

Any tips guys?
Cheers

Don't do what I just did with this kit! Rather than make it up to 20.5 litres I was on my adding that much water, stopped at 20. It smells lovely and tastes pretty good still though. I think I'll be trying it again soon...

Well made this one up today. Brewed as per instructions making it up to a fraction over 20 Litres. Pitched hops at 26 deg. gave a good stir. OG was 1044. Waited for temp to drop to 25 deg and pitched in the yeast.

Now let the waiting commence.:-D

Just waiting on this kit to be delivered, thinking of adding some treacle to this, will be the first stout I'll have attempted so can't wait to get stuck in. Good luck and keep us posted!

Well just checked it before work and there is about 3 inches of foam and the lid is bulging lol. Not bad for 12 hours in the bin.

I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure why it would bulge with the valve. Probably just cheap thin lid.
Just got home. The froth has at some point touched the lid but has now dropped a little.

Well its day 8 in the FB. Gravity is down to 1016 and has been at a temperature of 20 Deg C. Tasted good, though quite strong of licourice which isn't so good as i'm not a fan of it lol. Going to do a couple of gravity readings over the weekend and see where its at. Should be about right as that will be 2 weeks.

Well it's day 13. FG is at 1,015 so hardly any drop this week. I'll check it again tomorrow and if it's the same I'll bottle + condition with 1 coopers carbination drop per 500ml bottle. The licourice taste has mellowed.

Friday 19th. FG is at 1014. Its been in the fermenting bin for 19 days. If it's reading the same on sunday I was thinking of bottling. Very smooth taste but needs a bit of fizz. Going to put 1 coopers carbination drop per 500 ml bottles. Then condition for a month or so before I do a test run.:drink:

Bottleing Day!!!!!
Has been in the fermenter for 3 weeks at 20 - 21 deg C.
FG was 1014.
Put into 500ml Crown Cap bottles with 1 coopers carbination drop each.
sample taste was really smooth with undertones of licourice.
Now to wait. Tick Tock. :drink:

Tried a bottle yesterday. The licorice flavour has gone, and taste pretty smooth, good carbonation. I think the flavours will really improve in time.

Hi colliefish,
Thanks the regular updates - I've enjoyed watching it progress as this kit is on my list to do. Glad to hear it's turned out well. Don't forget to post an update once it's had more time to condition - I've read that some porters are still improving after 6 months.
Cheers mat

Hi Mat.

I'll update as time goes on but can't guarentee it will last 6 months.
Cheers
Mark

Latest posts

Back