The Great British Curry debate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The British curry awards have published their top 10 curry houses in the UK
Linky
I have to say IMHO this is a pile of rollox. The winner for the South west is not a bad curry house but Its not great and certainly not worth such adulation.
Wherea are your favourite curry haunts?
For me it has to be the Taj in High street Prestwick, Its not for the faint hearted, they do highly spiced. none of your insipid gravy here, I have to reccomend the Fillet steak Tandoori massala bhoona.. It is the dogs danglies.

Cafe Bangla in Rushden

It's only small, but is the best curry house i've ever been too.. the staff are awesome and i nearly always get a complimentry drink on the house afterwards :D

sunday nights they do a deal of any starter, main and side for under a tenner so i used to regularly go there before i moved to northanmpton.

My current favourite haunt is the spice dunes in Farrington Gurney just south of Bristol.
Im a bit of a chilli addict and I keep asking them to make it manly strength.... so they did ..... lovelly it was.... next day Gawd I thought I had **** a hedgehog :shock: talk about a pull through with a christmas tree. :eek: ...... Good curry house though better than the award winner in Bath.

I went out for a curry with another brewer the other day at Anise in Wrexham. Absolutely fantastic it was, best curry I've had in my life. I'm pretty sure they've won national awards.

Problem is, I prefered it when it was a rock pub. :wha:

I like the Surrey Palace in Epsom/Ewell (can't remember will edit when I speak to the wife next)

The food is excellent and the staff are friendly, all round top curry house.

I used to go to a real good curry house in Brick Lane, East London. It had no cutlery-you ate with your hands. Old school dinner tables with plastic seats. The 'menu' was Meat/Veg starter and Meat/Veg main. Drinks were coke or water. Chappati's were served with every meal. The food was outstanding. :cool:
There was always these old Indian guys reading indian newspapers and eating vast amounts of curry, smoking a cigarette in between mouthfuls.

Great place, always open. You would only get served if they knew you or you was with an Indian though.

Now any curry house in England is a million miles better than the terrible ones here. There is one good one. Oh Calcutta in Parnell, Auckland. It's a bit ponsey though. :roll:

MEB.
Watched Lionman last night and there were some shots of the country around the park. Bloody lovely bit of countryside. Assuming you live nearby I have to say " You lucky barsteward".
Secondly is Craig mad dicking around with them big cats like that? He was picking up cubs in the middle of all the White lions :shock: . Sorry for diverting the thread folks back to curry house debate

Back