Starting Out All-Grain Home Brewing - Would Like Some Advice

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tahuki

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm planning on doing some small batch all-grain home brewing in my friend's garage, there are four of us and we want to get a good starter kit, preferably gas - We've seen this (sorry it's a long link)

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk...ng-Starter-Kit-for-Gas.html#a0570018#a0570018

and was wondering whether this was good value.. I know we're novices but I also know we all want to do this so that's why we don't want to buy the cheapest kit as we'll probably outgrow it

Thanks for your time!

I think you could do it cheaper as there are some things you don't really need and some you could make yourself with a bit of DIY.

You don't really need the grain mill as it is easier to buy the malt ready crushed. Maybe something you can add later if required.

If you go down the electric route you would be able to make a boiler out of a good quality plastic fermentation bin (about 30ltre), tap and kettle element. Just a bit of DIY here.

A mash tun can also be made out of a fermenting bin, just add tap and a false bottom (a round ally plate with a lot of small holes drilled).

You can even make a counterflow wort chiller from some 8mm copper tubing, a garden hose and a few copper fittings. Or use an immersion chiller.

This isn't a complete list as there a quite a few other bits you would need but I think it shows you could do better with a bit of DIY

if you are starting AG from scratch then I would advise a process of evolution rather than an big initial spend. That way you can customise your kit to suit your needs and situation. I started BIAG using an electric boiler and a pillowcase, then built a mash tun from a coolbox and have slowly evolved my kit as I learn. The good news is that the beer gets better and better as your technique does. Try starting with just a large container that can be fitted onto a gas burner if you already have one. Be warned, they are a lot noisier that an electric boiler.
Graham

I'll bear that it in mind that's for your advice. My gf has just told me that big kit is too expensive so...

I'll bear that it in mind thanks for your advice. My gf has just told me that big kit is too expensive so...

Back