how much are you really getting?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, this related to ordered brewing ingredients, not anything else :p

ordered from the homebrew company.

caramalt 500g actual 519g
spraymalt 500g actual 555g
crystal malt 1000g actual 1025
wheat spray malt 3 x 1000g actual 1033g,1037g & 1051g
wheat spray malt 500g actual 504g

weighed in their bags so even with a few g's taken off for the bag, I still had more than ordered. I used 3.1kg wheat malt as a result rather than 3kg in a recipe which would explain the higher than expected, but it taught me to not rely on the weight printed on the bag.

Perhaps if we all post quantity discrepancies it will show up up any suppliers who sell short and reward those that give a little extra?

The last order I had from Geterbrweed I had 500 grams of munich on order but I actually had over 1kg infact with all teh grains I ordered I had that much excess I decided to make a 1G AG brew out of it

Is it possible that the grains were the right weight when originally packed but have absorbed moisture since ?

Maybe they are generous in case the opposite happens and they dry out ?

Maybe they are just generous and/or err on the side of caution ?

:dunno:

I would have thought spray malt would be accurate.

Is it possible that the grains were the right weight when originally packed but have absorbed moisture since ?

Maybe they are generous in case the opposite happens and they dry out ?

Maybe they are just generous and/or err on the side of caution ?

:dunno:

I would have thought spray malt would be accurate.

More likely since its a lot more expensive being a bit lax and slightly over on grain isn't going to cost them much pennies if that.

I get the same from meat I order online from butchers - e.g I pay for 1kg and get 1.04kg or something like that.

Companies allow for losses and also for the fact that everyone's scales might not all be properly calibrated. The customer benefits and it's a good way to keep em coming back for more :)

If they gave you an exact measure and it turned out even slightly below what it should have been, they could be in very serious trouble with the weights and measures people. So chucking a bit extra in is basically good practice as far as a retailer is concerned and costs them nothing - the price you're paying is based on the amount you're receiving, not the nominal weight you're meant to be getting.:lol:

Latest posts

Back