first ever brew kit queries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gavhempo

Reaction score
Hello I'm Gav from leicester
I've just got a brewing kit which I was expecting the coopers lager kit but was sent the European lager kit instead? (I just wanted to start with something real simple and quick as haven't really got a clue!).
Ive sterilized and added the ingredients, got it between 20-21 degrees with a hydrometer reading of 1.040.
I was just wondering what should the hydrometer reading end up at and how long does it usually take?
Cheers in advance

Should end up about1012. Give it a couple of weeks to get there. Depending on temperature though, could be done in a week. Won't hurt to leave it in the fv longer though. Welcome to HBF by the way!

Thank you and thank you for replying.
The instructions then say bottle it for 12 weeks, is there any that are quicker do you know?

12 weeks sounds a long time! All my brews (AG admittedly) are 2 + 2 + 2 - 2 weeks fv, 2 weeks warm, 2 weeks cold then they are good to go. They get better with time, but drinkable after that particular regime.

Hello I'm Gav from leicester
I've just got a brewing kit which I was expecting the coopers lager kit but was sent the European lager kit instead? (I just wanted to start with something real simple and quick as haven't really got a clue!).
Ive sterilized and added the ingredients, got it between 20-21 degrees with a hydrometer reading of 1.040.
I was just wondering what should the hydrometer reading end up at and how long does it usually take?
Cheers in advance

I think the European Lager kit comes with a true lager yeast. If so this needs to be brewed cooler, 12°C-14°C.

Check the instructions to be sure, most Coopers 'Lager' Kits use an ale yeast so can be brewed at 20-21°C (the sorts of temps home brewers can easily manage).

I suspect the Coopers instructions will * note that the European Lager Kit needs brewing cooler - it gets very good write ups that kit as having a true lager crisp taste (due to the bottom fermenting cool fermenting yeast included). Not saying its a bad kit but pretty sure it needs brewing cooler.

Your not wrong Spa.
Did mine in the understairs cupboard at a steady 15' came out lovely and got even better with time. Seen some good reviews for Euro lager.
Prob not what Gav wanted to heat though :lol:

Rob.

I bought this kit a few years ago but never got round to using it.The BB date is Sept 2014.Would it still be ok ?

I would use it, the yeast in the kit may be the weakest link due to the BB date. If you had a spare lager yeast sachet knocking around I would use the kit but use a new yeast if poss.

Your not wrong Spa.
Did mine in the understairs cupboard at a steady 15' came out lovely and got even better with time. Seen some good reviews for Euro lager.
Prob not what Gav wanted to heat though :lol:

Rob.

Not sure if the supplier sent the wrong kit or if Gav ordered the wrong kit :doh:.

Bit of a mute point now - probably best option from here is to move the brew somewhere as cool as possible as quickly as possible (down to about 12°C). Somewhere like a garage or a cellar may work.

Not sure the lager yeast will even ferment out at 20°C but assume will deffo be risking funky flavours fermenting that much outside of the yeasts preferred temperature range.

We all live and learn - this home brewing is certainly an adventure including both highs and lows !

Hi spapro I think they got it wrong because they actually sent me out two full kits instead of one aswell?!

Is there anything I should be looking out for in the 24hr mark, it's just started bubbling at the top?

image.jpg

I would stick it somewhere cooler - if it can go down to 13°C I would say 16-18°C should be ideal.

Other than that, leave it alone for 2 weeks, don't fiddle with it then take a hydrometer reading. Take another 3-4 days after that and if its static and reasonably low (1010-1014) its ready for bottling.

Good luck with it and nice one receiving 2 kits.

This defo has a genuine lager yeast, I fermented mine at 16degrees and gave it about 18 days in the FV from memory. Bottled it and tried one after four weeks, was already pretty good at that point. Few weeks later keeps getting better.

One week in today of my first ever brew and just took a hydrometer reading of 1014 which I take as ok. It's still bubbling away in the airlock so I'm leaving it for another week. It tastes like warm flat lager so I'm a happy boy!

Thats good progress, leave for another week and measure again, it will probably get a bit lower, 1010-1012.

Then leave for 3 days and measure again - oncce static for 2-3 days you know its finished and can think about bottling.

Always a warm feeling when the hydrometer gives a reading you hope for to reassure all is well !

I started one of these last night. Only 28 bottles left from my current batch so wanted to get another on the go (gulp!!). Unfortunately didn't have any brew enhancer so had to use granulated sugar. Last night was pretty much the only opportunity I had for the next two-three weeks to get a brew started so decided it was worth getting it going, even if it will be a bit lacking in body due to only using sugar.

Boiled up a saaz tea and added to the wort, will also dry hop some more saaz a few days before bottling.

Day13 taken a reading as I couldn't wait for day 14!
Gravity of 1.006 which I'm taking as good.
When bottling does it all have to be done in one go or can it be done over two nights?

Hmmmmm... interesting question. I've only ever bottled in a single session.

Given the set up work required for bottling, my advice would be to leave it until you have time to do in one session, and make sure you have free run of the kitchen (or wherever it is you are bottling) for at least two hours.

Bottling is the most tedious part of brewing, make sure you have plenty time, and a couple of beers to hand to get you through it.

Hmmmmm... interesting question. I've only ever bottled in a single session.

Given the set up work required for bottling, my advice would be to leave it until you have time to do in one session, and make sure you have free run of the kitchen (or wherever it is you are bottling) for at least two hours.

Bottling is the most tedious part of brewing, make sure you have plenty time, and a couple of beers to hand to get you through it.

Agreed, it is the law to drink beer whilst bottling it....

You can do it over two nights, but I reckon it's better to get it done in one go. The answer is to find ways to speed it up. Have your bottles ready beforehand, clean. Use a bottle rinser with Starsan. Use a quick filling method like a bottle wand.

Latest posts

Back