Water Quality Report

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was advised that it is not a good idea to post attachements, especially from a member who is not a regular - trust issues. Could you advise which values are the key, and i will extract the numbers?

Hi Pawel,

There are 6 of interest to homebrewers

Alkalinity (may be expressed as Carbonate (Co3), HCo3 or CaCo3)
Calcium (Ca)
Magnesium (Mg)
Sodium (Na)
Sulphate (So4)
Chloride (Cl)

Once you have these you can put them into the water calculator found in calculators at the top of the page.

Ok, the number which I had to chase for additionally are:

Alkalinity – I was told that Alkalinity is not a regulatory parameter so is not regularly analysed for.

Hardness is 6.85 mg/l (soft)
Calcium is 5.8mg/l

Magnesium is 0.7mg
Sodium is 3.988 mg/l
Sulphate is 7.9 mg/l
Chloride is 6.0mg/l

As a remark I must say that Scottish Water were incredibly quick and helpful, sorting all in just few hours from my query.

I have very soft water. The calculator tells me Gypsum for pale beers, and some Epsom salts. And Calcium Chloride for dark beers. Yours is likely to be the same i think. Stick the numbers in the water treatment calculator in the calculator section linked at the top of this page.

Thanks
I struggle with value for alkalinity. I don't have it, but I have a value called Hardness in mg/l. Can anyone clarify this for me?
Thank you

I can't sorry. Put the other 5 figures in the water calculator and that'll give you a pretty good idea what you need.

Hardness and alkalinity are pretty much the same thing as far as brewing is concerned. Use the 'hardness' figure in place of alkalinity and you will be fine (hardness is measured in CaCo3 per mg/l, as is alkalinity). As I said above, bang them in the calculator - expect gypsum to be the key. Take note you might be adding some to the mash and some to the boil for AG brews.

Thank you. Just one more question. If I do BIAB, should I enter the total water and the mash water as the same amount?
And, should it be the amount before I put the grains in, or after I remove them?

It's the amount of water you start with. And if you are doing a spargeless BIAB, then total and mash water are the same, yes.

Hi

I have run the water treatment calculator for my water profile, for standard Bitter, and need to add certain quantities of these minerals:

Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate)
Chalk (Calcium Carbonate)
Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate)
Calcium Chloride (Dihydrate)

Can you please advise what these are, where to get them from? And how to add these.

Thank you

Hi

I have run the water treatment calculator for my water profile, for standard Bitter, and need to add certain quantities of these minerals:

Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate)
Chalk (Calcium Carbonate)
Epsom Salts (Magnesium Sulphate Heptahydrate)
Calcium Chloride (Dihydrate)

Can you please advise what these are, where to get them from? And how to add these.

Thank you

Homebrew shops will stock them. I got Epsom salts from my local chemist. If you use the water treatment calculator at the top of the forum page (in calculators), it will tell you what quantity you need to add, and when (some in the mash, some in the boil water), and what they do.

Latest posts

Back