A kit like old peculiar?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you could just try the Wheeler recipe, which is on the Worcester Hop Shop site as a grain kit:

Light DME 3kg
Crystal Malt 295g
Chocolate Malt 215g

Challenger Hops 30g for 60 mins (could just use Fuggles)
Fuggle Hops 14g for 60 mins

Fuggle Hops 14g for 10 mins (Wheeler says Goldings here but Theakstons say Fuggles)

S04 yeast or Wyeast 1469. Or WLP500 belgian ale yeast, which one online blogger used and reckoned it worked really well in his OP clone.

they sent me 25g challenger
14g east kent goldings
14g fuggles for that kit
and the grain was
5460g maris otter
295g crystal malt
215g chocolate malt

I think they have sent you the 14g of East Kent Goldings to use instead of the 14g of Fuggles at the last 10 min boil for aroma.

If I wanted to do a 10L batch of the extract recipes do I simply use half the ingredients above?

If I wanted to do a 10L batch of the extract recipes do I simply use half the ingredients above?

Yes you do. Well that's for 23 litres, so you halve it for 11.5 litres actually. I can alter to 10 litres in Brewmate very quickly if you want.

The issue seems to be whether OP has chocolate in it or not. If Graham Wheeler says it has, you would expect him to be right. He wouldn't publish a recipe without being pretty confiident. It's just odd that Theakstons say crystal and roast barley, and don't mention chocolate.

@hisdudeness If your feeling brave you could try culturing up some Thwaites yeast from a bottle of Nutty Black to get you even closer to the taste of OP. Yeast can provide up to 70% of the flavour of a beer . NB is supposed to have the Thwaites primary strain in it.
Culturing up from a bottle is not actually very hard to do just a bit time consuming. It takes me about 3 weeks to culture up a yeast from bottle dregs to pitchable amount of yeast. All you need is 2x2L water bottles, 1x500ml water bottle and some DME

Would Thwaites yeast be a good substitute for whatever Theakstons uses?

Here's a 10L version of my attempt:

Extract Old Peculier
Batch Size (L): 10.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.057
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.60 %
Bitterness (IBU): 33.2

1.400 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (85.37%)
0.070 kg Crystal 120 Dark (4.27%)
0.070 kg Crystal 75 (4.27%)
0.050 kg Chocolate (3.05%)
0.050 kg Roasted Barley (3.05%)

20.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (2 g/L)
10.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (1 g/L)

Well I mixed up Hobgoblin with old P earlier on this thread...

Fink I'd try Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire ale. Which I happen to have plenty of...

Would this recipe (clibit) benefit from a bit of torrefied wheat? Just asking as I am going to make this next and am about to acquire some from a very kind forum member who had a bit going spare! Can you add it to pretty much any recipe for added head retention?

Forget that, have just read up a bit and seems that it can only be used as part of a mash not for steeping, will have to wait til my next mini mash/AG effort!

My recipe is for an extract brew with steeping grains. The steeping grains will make a big improvement compared to using just DME.

Batch Size (L): 23.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.057
Final Gravity (FG): 1.014
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.60 %
Bitterness (IBU): 33.2 (Average)

3.220 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (85.37%)
0.161 kg Crystal 120 Dark (4.27%)
0.161 kg Crystal 75 (4.27%)
0.115 kg Chocolate (3.05%)
0.115 kg Roasted Barley (3.05%)
-
45.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
25.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.7% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes

Seem to be a lot of variations of this recipe doing the rounds, even BrewUK seem to have changed their recipe - the one I have (scanned in) has 3 hops: Challenger, Fuggles and Goldings (and 2 type of Goldings, EKG and Styrian for the dry hop).

Theakstons' website says it now uses "two bitter hops combined with the majestic and noble ‘Fuggle’ hop." I think Challenger is used as a bittering hop. But Fuggle seems to be the key flavour hop.

Maybe I've got a tainted view, but I don't think today's OP is as good as it was in the past - a pub round here used to serve it from the wood in the 80s. I wonder if Theakston backed off the amount of hops they use?

Just thinking that I love OP, when I made up the BrewUK version I thought "wow, this is better than the original" and have since made it up 3 times. Just drunk my very last bottle and the Goldings are coming through nicely.

You can maybe make a better beer that's very similar. I'd get a good yeast. Yorkshire ale perhaps. I'd probably increase the bitterness myself, cos 30 ish IBUs in a 1058 beer is not a lot for my tastes.

Just done this as a biab I got the recipe from greg Hughes British real ale book changed to a 10l batch og says 1058 reading after the mash @1051 reading after boil 1069 followed the instructions for 90 min mash and 90 min boil however did manage to make 2 mistakes first I forgot to account my water for grain absorption hence the the 1069 reading and second the recipe says challenger at start of boil and I've only just realised putting the hops away I've used cascade instead [emoji15] so will be interesting how it turns out the initial taste is nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back