woodforde wherry bottled

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracking looking pint Dan I do love that deep reddish brown colour and it's lovely and clear. It's got me sitting here all thirsty on a Tuesday, Friday night seems very long way away right now. Still, absence makes the heart grow fonder.

Yep, well done, looks lovely. I have only ever barrelled the wherry and it always pleases, even after just four weeks in the barrel. I have one wherry kit left before I 'graduate' onto partial mashing so I think I will bottle it and see how it compares.

Why wait, you could use the cans from the Wherry kit for partial mashing.

Use one can and then some grain (around 2kg of grains) plus 20g of hops in the boil for 60 mins.

One Wherry can will have half the malt and half the bitterness for a 23l brew so something like this partial mash recipe would work well:
One can from the Wherry Kit
1.9kg Pale Malt or Maris Otter Grains
150g Pale Crystal Malt
Mash the grains in a bag for 1 hour in 6-8 litres of water at 67°C then rinse the grains off with 2 kettlefuls of water. Squeeze the bag of grains so you retrieve as much gorgeous sugary wort as possible. Discard the bag of used grains.
Add the Wherry malt to the wort and rolling boil for 60 minutes, adding 20g of First Gold Whole leaf hops at the start of the boil.
1 tsp of irish moss added at 15 minutes to aid clearing.
Cool the boiled wort stockpot in a sink of ice packed water to get it down to under 40°C.
Pop your concentrated wort (filtering out the leaf hops with a sieve) into a FV, top up with 'chilled in the fridge water' to 23 litres at circa 21°C and pitch the yeast.

You wouldn't be dissapointed ;-)

Indeed, I may just do that. Thank you for the prompt Spapro. It was Clibit's sticky post that got me thinking it's about time things were 'moved on', plus I have a new man shed and a sturdy calor gas stove so no excuses really... :thumb:

Partial Mashes are a huge step forward from straight kits, really worth the extra effort.

Sounds like you will have a great setup, I brew between the kitchen electric hob and the garage - not ideal but what I am stuck with. Enjoy your new man shed and calor gas, some good beer to follow me thinks.

Latest posts

Back