Campden tablets?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My tap water has become really sh*te lately and the local water board(NI Water) has said that the taste is chlorine and doesn`t effect the water quality blah blah...
Am I right in thinking that I don`t need to add any campden tabs to a BIAB batch as the boil will remove the chlorine,or will I need to add 1 before the mash?
If I do a tinned kit,how and when do I add the tab?
Thanks

Boiling will drive off the chlorine, but it won't drive off the more stable chloramine that will still be there. The campden tablets will eliminate that. You could also use an activated-charcoal filter to do the same thing. You only need a quarter to half a tablet per 20 litres.

I've added the tablet before boiling the water once I've measured everything out.

With a kit I generally top up my FV to 23/23L with tap water. At this stage the sugar and kit contents are already in the FV. In this situation, would I add the campden tablet into the wort, (before adding the yeast)??

Not something I've ever worried about TBH, my tap water seems fine but would be good to know.

I've read that if you add the campden tablet to wort before pitching yeast, you can kill the yeast.

Just measure out the water you want to use, add the campden tablet, then add it to the kits.

If you've been making kits without doing this and the beer tastes fine, then it's up to you :)

I add half a campden tablet to 23litres of water in a sterilised spare FV - roughly a day before I plan to brew.

I use some of that water for a minimash/boil, and the remainder is used to top up in the FV prior to pitching the yeast.

Read somewhere that using the campden tablet to treat the water 24 hours before brewing/pitching the yeast meant it wouldn't affect the yeast. No idea on the science but my brews go off fermenting like a rocket so its working for me.

So am I the only person not using campden tablets, just plain old tap water??

I`ve had a tub of tabs for a while but never used them and there had always been a "taste" from my kit brews.
Never had the same "taste"from a BIAB brew but it`s just recently that I can notice the terrible taste from my tap water ,so I want to improve it.
When I 1st started brewing I bought in bottled water and with the novelty of it all I didn`t mind the expense but now,I`d rather use all those extra expenses on kit instead of "god`s" gift .

* You can use Campden tablets just before brewing as the effect is almost immediate.

*If you don't dechlorinate your water (campden tablet or filter) you risk a medicinal/band aid off flavour in your beer

*Campden tablets do not kill yeast but can slow it down a lot and cause it to go dormant if you use them after you pitch your yeast .

* You can use Campden tablets just before brewing as the effect is almost immediate.

*If you don't dechlorinate your water (campden tablet or filter) you risk a medicinal/band aid off flavour in your beer

*Campden tablets do not kill yeast but can slow it down a lot and cause it to go dormant if you use them after you pitch your yeast .
When you say use the tablets just before brewing, do you mean add the tablet to tap water in a separate FV (or similar clean recepticle), or add to the wart before adding the yeast?

Sorry if this is a daft question just wanna be sure of the process if am gonna use them from now on.

When you say use the tablets just before brewing, do you mean add the tablet to tap water in a separate FV (or similar clean recepticle), or add to the wart before adding the yeast?

Sorry if this is a daft question just wanna be sure of the process if am gonna use them from now on.

I add it to the water before making the wort

Latest posts

Back