How long will crushed grain last?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony1951

Bungling Amateur
Reaction score
I bought some crushed Marris Otter a month ago at the local HB shop. I had about 800 grams left over after I did my last AG brew on 1st May. I now have 10kg of un-crushed grain to grind myself when needed, so I'm not short of supplies. I will be making another brew in the next day or two and I was wondering if I should feed the older stuff to the birds and make my beer with fresh.

Any advice from old hands at the AG game?

Can't see any problem as long as the month old grain is dry and free from obvious issues, since you are going to boil the resulting liquid for an hour.

Thanks for the input both. It has been stored in a sealed plastic bag, as supplied. I think crushed grain goes off after a little while. This isn't an issue with whole grain I think. I'll give it a good sniff before I use it and see if it smells as good as the fresh stuff.

Cheers

I would definitely advise using it, as opposed to worrying about it. :thumb:

I bought a 25kg sack of maris otter which I've now used for 5 brews and have enough left for a half brew. Well it's been a few months now but there was no noticeable difference between the first brew and the last one I did.

Thanks for the replies. I used it tonight in my #3 AG brew. Added the balance from the uncrushed Marris Otter I bought from the Home Brew Company. I gave the old grain a good sniff and it smelled nice and sweet. The new grain had a more grassy smell, but then it would, wouldn't it. I crushed it in my flour grinding mill set for very rough crush to make a total grain bill of 2kg MOtter. The mill did a great job of the crushing - VERY easy in comparison to grinding wheat berries for fine flour which is a good workout if you do a kilo. The rough crush was easy - just spinning with no resistance.

Just finished the process and I'm fermenting it in the wilco 12l pot - hopefully it won't froth over in the early fermentation. The normal FV is already occupied with another batch of table beer. The AG produced 10.5 litres at 1054OG measured at 22c.

Hops:

60 mins 11gr Cascade AA 6.7
60 mins 10gr EKG AA4.6
5 mins 29gr Cascade AA 6.7 (just emptied the packet)
10litres approx
IBU about 40.....

If the brew goes down to 1008 like the last one it will be coming in about 6.1 ABV before carbonation.

:)

Fun hobby.

Latest posts

Back