Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > Beer Brewing Talk > General Beer Brewing Discussion > Help with re-using spent grains for a second brew

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 PM   #11
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 986 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Default Parti-gyle

I did a parti-gyle using the Grainfather back in February to make a 10L Barley wine (for Xmas) and a 25L Cascade Pale Ale.

Total Grain Bill was 6.5kg Maris Otter and 660g Crystal malt.

Did the BW by removing 12L of wort after the first 60m mash (NO MASH OUT)- just pumping it out into a large 15L pot using the recirculating arm. Then this was boiled on the stove with a Bittering hop and some Goldings. I then played around with it using BIAB equipment and fermented in my 15L fermenter. Got about 18 x 500ml bottles - still got about 9 left for the festive season. Good experiment, fun planning, executing and drinking.

Did the second mash by just adding more water @ 65C - around the same 12L removed and re-mashed in the GF, after giving the grains a good stir, for around 30 mins. I may have done the first mash at 63C and the second at 65C. It sounds like the sort of thing I would have done!

Sparged as usual for a full length brew (obviously no sparging for the BW wort).

My intention had always been to add a Coopers lager kit to the second brew, a pale ale with Cascade, so I just added my Cascade hops at 60/15/5/0mins as 17/20/20/43g at each stage boiling in the GF. Kit was added to the cooled wort in the FV.

Added sugar to both beers - 400g to the BW and 200g to the Cascade IPA.

The Cascade ale got drunk ages ago as it was brilliant and being hoppy, needed to be drunk fairly early.

I would and probably will do the same again some time, especially if I ever get cheap malt extract again! (I think the Coopers kit was from the last Tesco sell-off at about £6).

For the record, my 18 bottles of BW weighed in at about 9.5% ABV and the Cascade IPA "session" beer at just over 6%. Obviously, omitting the beer kit would have made it more like 4%, but it was not a day for restraint.

Lot of messing about that day and you may be best advised to do it with a buddy. But, as you say, one to "tick off the list" for sure.

Just give me a PM if you want more details.
Manxnorton Likes This 
Old 12-10-2017, 08:13 AM   #12
Manxnorton

Liked 482 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
I did a parti-gyle using the Grainfather back in February to make a 10L Barley wine (for Xmas) and a 25L Cascade Pale Ale.

Total Grain Bill was 6.5kg Maris Otter and 660g Crystal malt.

Did the BW by removing 12L of wort after the first 60m mash (NO MASH OUT)- just pumping it out into a large 15L pot using the recirculating arm. Then this was boiled on the stove with a Bittering hop and some Goldings. I then played around with it using BIAB equipment and fermented in my 15L fermenter. Got about 18 x 500ml bottles - still got about 9 left for the festive season. Good experiment, fun planning, executing and drinking.

Did the second mash by just adding more water @ 65C - around the same 12L removed and re-mashed in the GF, after giving the grains a good stir, for around 30 mins. I may have done the first mash at 63C and the second at 65C. It sounds like the sort of thing I would have done!

Sparged as usual for a full length brew (obviously no sparging for the BW wort).

My intention had always been to add a Coopers lager kit to the second brew, a pale ale with Cascade, so I just added my Cascade hops at 60/15/5/0mins as 17/20/20/43g at each stage boiling in the GF. Kit was added to the cooled wort in the FV.

Added sugar to both beers - 400g to the BW and 200g to the Cascade IPA.

The Cascade ale got drunk ages ago as it was brilliant and being hoppy, needed to be drunk fairly early.

I would and probably will do the same again some time, especially if I ever get cheap malt extract again! (I think the Coopers kit was from the last Tesco sell-off at about £6).

For the record, my 18 bottles of BW weighed in at about 9.5% ABV and the Cascade IPA "session" beer at just over 6%. Obviously, omitting the beer kit would have made it more like 4%, but it was not a day for restraint.

Lot of messing about that day and you may be best advised to do it with a buddy. But, as you say, one to "tick off the list" for sure.

Just give me a PM if you want more details.
Thx for this interesting pal.
In the light of day, thinking on anyone minds could too much fanny’in on for me and my brain retention waver?
But like you said ‘tick on the box’ and least my tiny brain is still venturing into all HB’ing processes etc.
As there so much to learn and try its keeps me motivated and focus!
Only thing is how I can get through all these bottles!! Let alone a corni keg!!
Maybe too much fanny’in on be a step too far!
But you know me!!! Never turn down a challlenge!!
Tbc
Bri

Old 12-10-2017, 07:22 PM   #13
Slid
Forum Friend
THBF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 986 Times on 812 Posts
Likes Given: 989

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxnorton View Post
Thx for this interesting pal.
In the light of day, thinking on anyone minds could too much fanny’in on for me and my brain retention waver?
But like you said ‘tick on the box’ and least my tiny brain is still venturing into all HB’ing processes etc.
As there so much to learn and try its keeps me motivated and focus!
Only thing is how I can get through all these bottles!! Let alone a corni keg!!
Maybe too much fanny’in on be a step too far!
But you know me!!! Never turn down a challlenge!!
Tbc
Bri
There are no processes involved that you will be unfamiliar with, it is just the length of the day and the amount of "lifting and shifting" involved that mean you are perhaps best advised to have some committed assistance on hand from, say, the end of the first mash in the GF?
Manxnorton Likes This 
Old 18-10-2017, 06:19 AM   #14
Manxnorton

Liked 482 Times on 362 Posts
Likes Given: 1508

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slid View Post
There are no processes involved that you will be unfamiliar with, it is just the length of the day and the amount of "lifting and shifting" involved that mean you are perhaps best advised to have some committed assistance on hand from, say, the end of the first mash in the GF?
Haha!!
Tbh I could get some free pair of hand that both work! Unlike mine lol.
A week away for a break...seems like a year!! 232 mikes each way and my head apart from tying to concentrate that is!! Getting my tiny brain back into the man cave...
That’s where I’m going now!!!
No rest for the whicked!! Bloody love it!!!
Lata my m8
Bri