Register Now!
The HomeBrew Forum > General Discussion > The Snug > Mods...dodgy posts?????

Help Support The Homebrew Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 17-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
foxbat

Liked 149 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 147

Anyone that runs an internet forum gets really familiar with these really quickly. A forum like this is going to have layers of defences against automated spambot registration and that's why you hardly ever see spam on a modern forum these days. Every now and then unfortunately one slips through and it's down to the vigilance of members that ensure it gets an IP ban.

As to the question of why 'these people' do it? The answer is they're not people, they're automated spambots that are coded to know how to register against all the common forum engines and they're playing the numbers game.
GerritT Likes This 
Old 17-10-2017, 08:42 PM   #12
cerbera84

Liked 19 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddy View Post

Saying that apparently a woman called Jill from CITI group has money to transfer into my bank account. And I should do It at once. All I have to do is just give her my bank details........
Apparently I've won the Spanish lottery and will receive 68 million... funnily enough, I don't remember buying a ticket, or even going to Spain....

Old 18-10-2017, 04:28 AM   #13
Chippy_Tea
THBF_ADMIN.png

Liked 3615 Times on 2870 Posts
Likes Given: 4403

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxbat View Post
Anyone that runs an internet forum gets really familiar with these really quickly. A forum like this is going to have layers of defences against automated spambot registration and that's why you hardly ever see spam on a modern forum these days. Every now and then unfortunately one slips through and it's down to the vigilance of members that ensure it gets an IP ban.

As to the question of why 'these people' do it? The answer is they're not people, they're automated spambots that are coded to know how to register against all the common forum engines and they're playing the numbers game.

I manually allow or deny all new registrations and most spammers are fairly easy to spot (I won't go into detail) unfortunately the odd one gets through, thankfully members are quick to report them so their rubbish doesn't stay on the forum long.
Forum Member Map - if you would like to be added please visit this thread - http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/sh...ad.php?t=67013

Old 18-10-2017, 06:41 PM   #14
GerritT

Liked 84 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 413

I'm still sorry about deleting the best spam I ever received.
Subject:

"Paris liberated. Paparazi expected home by Christmas"