Wheat, Rye & Hibiscus Saison Recipe Help

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quernon

Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for your thoughts on my latest recipe. I recently had a hibiscus beer from our local bottle shop and thought it would go very well with a saison style.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/563750/wheat-rye-hibiscus-saison

I'm still pretty new to making my own recipes so any comments or criticism would be very welcome. In particular, when should I add the hibiscus to get the most colour and flavour out of it?

Thanks!

Haven't used hibiscus, but I have used elderflower and would imagine hibiscus would go in at the end of the boil, say the last 10 minutes.

As for the recipe, if brewing 'to style' the FG is too high and you don't need the sweetness and body provided by the crystal and flaked barley. Looking at the BJCP 2015 style guidelines is a useful tool when beginning writing your own recipes. Saying that, it's your beer, so there are no rules. If your aim is a fuller, sweeter beer, leave the recipe as it is. Could maybe do with some of those Goldings at the end of the boil. Being floral in nature they'll give the hibiscus a lift.

BJCP guidelines (also available as an android App).

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...AAZEQFggmMAA&usg=AOvVaw1fApv_ZsY2Nug8ZskbZqoD

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Thanks, I've not seen the BJCP guidelines before, they seem very in depth. I want to keep this fairly to style so I'll drop the flaked barley and crystal.

I've reduced the amount of pilsner malt and added 250g of dark Belgian candy sugar to drop the FG while keeping the colour around where it needs to be. What do you think? I've updated the recipe at the link above.

Looks good. The predicted FG stuck me as still being quite high, then I noticed the Attenuation of 80%. Your recipe is fine, but from my, and I suspect others, experience is that Belle Saison will ferment much lower than this, so don't be alarmed if your FG ends up lower. It's a really good yeast though.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back