Cocao nibs.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRedDarren

Landlord.
Reaction score
Has anyone used them? Does anyone have any ideas when to add them in the boil?

Pretty sure i have heard of people roasting them and then adding to secondary. When i did a Choc Stout i added the coco powder 10mins before the end. That was 100g for a 20l batch and to be honest the sample wasn't as choccy as last time i did it.

I did a chocy porter/stout type brew. Shoved em in the oven for a short time, just to kill off any nasties. I put them in a hop bag and sort of dry hopped with them for 5 days, turned out ok:thumb:

I was thinking of adding some to the mash, a few more at about 10/5 minutes then a dry hop too

You can either add the nibs to the last 20 mins of the boil (around 10g/L is a good starting point) or you can add them directly to the secondary for a while. Another option that I've heard of is to make a tincture by soaking them in vodka for a few days then add the liquid just before bottling. I think all three options are quite effective.

Pretty sure i have heard of people roasting them and then adding to secondary. When i did a Choc Stout i added the coco powder 10mins before the end. That was 100g for a 20l batch and to be honest the sample wasn't as choccy as last time i did it.

My misses brought some back from work, so I'm hoping 100g would be good for a smaller batch, say 10-12 litres.
Would adding the powder at flame out be a better option? Straight from the packet..

My misses brought some back from work, so I'm hoping 100g would be good for a smaller batch, say 10-12 litres.
Would adding the powder at flame out be a better option? Straight from the packet..
If you have powder that sounds good. I read its best if under 10% fat. Also bear in mind its very bitter, next time i will add lactose as well.

Ah i see i never read the post correctly. I am planning on a white stout and will be adding them in primary. I don't want to boil them in case it extracts colour.

Last edited:
I've heard boiling the nibs can extract a lot of tannin, seemed a reliable source and most people seem to soak in secondary. I added cocoa powder at 10 mins when I used it once.

I've added nibs in the boil and they imparted very little flavour. I've also added them in secondary with better results. I have an imperial chocolate stout conditioning right now where I added something like 53g of cocoa nibs to the boil and it has a slight chocolate taste. I'm gonna roast some nibs and throw them in secondary 10 days before bottling.

i have used them. I stuck em in a lowish oven for a while and added them to the FV after 5 days and left them for 7 days.Turned out ok.

I was listening to a Dr Homebrew podcast from a couple of months ago. They suggested leaving the nibs in secondary for a longer time to release more interesting flavour profiles. might be worth thinking about?!

was in aldi today, couldn't resist buying the nibs in the 'foodie range', 90g for £1.89, this wasn't a bad price compared to most places.

is it necessary to roast them in the oven? ive noticed lots of youtube vids showing this method but im considering adding some roasted barley anyway, so any advise be great

was in aldi today, couldn't resist buying the nibs in the 'foodie range', 90g for �£1.89, this wasn't a bad price compared to most places.

is it necessary to roast them in the oven? ive noticed lots of youtube vids showing this method but im considering adding some roasted barley anyway, so any advise be great

It's not necessary to do this, roasting in the oven does bring out some flavours better and also sterilises them. I think letting them sit in vodka also brings out certain flavours too.

I've previously got them from Bulk Powders https://www.bulkpowders.co.uk/organic-raw-cacao-nibs.html which seem to have sales on a lot.

You can either add the nibs to the last 20 mins of the boil (around 10g/L is a good starting point) or you can add them directly to the secondary for a while. Another option that I've heard of is to make a tincture by soaking them in vodka for a few days then add the liquid just before bottling. I think all three options are quite effective.

Out of vodka. Would whisky do the same job do u think?

Back