cloudy wine

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chassyp

Reaction score
I have an elderberry wine which is not clearing. I have tried 2 lots of finings but still nothing. I have it in my cellar since november! Does anyone know what I should do? I have never had this problem before. I wondered if I should give it a shake and bring it into the warm for a week to see if this would help? Otherwise I guess its a wine filter job is it? Anyone else had this problem? Cheers in advance... :grin: :drunk:

chassyp said:
Anyone else had this problem?
Nope, sorry. Did you use pectolase at the start? Hot or cold extraction? If hot and “yes” to the first, allowed to cool before adding enzyme?

Pectolase added but to be honest not sure what you mean by hot cold extraction? Sorry I am shiney new to this! :drunk:

Usual methods with country wines are boiling water poured over fruit, which also serves to kill off any wild yeasts, allowed to cool, yeast and pectolase added, or cold water used, campden tablet to deal with the wild yeasts, pectolase added, yeast pitched after 24 hours.

Pectolase is a natural enzyme and should be treated like the yeast, boiling water will kill it.

You can use pectolase after fermentation to remove haze. I recently did that on a wine that I'd neglected to add pectolase to at the start...worked OK, but needed a double dose.

Many thanks for those explanations. Pectolase here I come.... :thumb:

Latest posts

Back