wine judge wanted

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hedgerow pete

Regular.
Reaction score
well I have been making plonk for years and I want to improve to making wine now, but as someone with next to no pallet and no idea, on what is or is not a good wine I am looking for a wine judge buddy!!!!

what I want to do is to send the occasional small taster bottle over to my new found friend and then ask for a feed back from them on it.

Now i dont mind what the replies are, good, bad or vinigar but i do want to have a very honest opinon and preferable with some sort of ideas where i went wrong or where it could be improved.

as for where , I dont mind so any where in blighty will do, its not a full time job use a dozen tasters over a year.

you dont have to be a qualified judge but you would need to know whats what with wines and sparklies and sparklies bases.

is there anyone up for a postal poisoning?????

P.S.
all of my wine is non grape based so some idea of what a country wine should be would help

As I believe you're also a member on the Harris site, I would suggest you duplicate the question over there and maybe ask FT or Bob Lockwood.

Hi Pete,

Sounds interesting :thumb:

Free wine for feedback? what's the catch?

I'm not a wine judge but I am a member of a wine circle so I think I could give you a decent honest opinion.

I was a member on the other website , but i gave up with them about 8 months ago as to me it was a waste of time and effort.

some forums have slight variants in there set up and many reflect the founders ideals etc. so for me personal i found that it was grape based intrests only and few if any where intrested in country wines. I just got the feeling that they were all to busy tring to emulate shop brought grape wines at better qualities than they can buy, many a time i have asked for country wine problems or questions to find none were ever answered, either lazy or unable?

so now that i have moved over to the other side , i need to find a wine judging person again

I seem to recall that the guy Church End asked to judge their Brewery Recipe Class at our recent Spring Thing event was a wine judge :hmm: i'm not 100% certain though but worth a shot?

He is a member here, 'Harry Porter'

:thumb:

hedgerow pete said:
I was a member on the other website , but i gave up with them about 8 months ago as to me it was a waste of time and effort.
I know what you mean, it's almost dead but the dozen or so core members have got things how they like it. There is a good basis in country winemaking but with very few new posts per day it can often seem like a question gets one or two replies if you're lucky and then drifts off into obscurity.

I understand what you mean about the grape-based emphasis with the site host though, when I returned to winemaking and went into their shop with all sorts of questions about TC and juice wines, the advice seemed to mostly consist of “don't bother, try a Beaverdale kit instead”.

Latest posts

Back