malt extract brewing-advice or suggestions?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abeyptfc

Landlord.
Reaction score
hi guys hows it going. I managed to get hold of a boiler/mashtun thingy from a guy on the forum and was planning my first non-kit brew, i dont think im ready for an all grain yet but the partial or malt extract looks easy enough.
I've bought the recipe pack from brewuk and received delivery within 2 days(excellent customer service from the chaps!much recommended) so was planning a weekend brew. its a summer ale pack here -
50grm East Kent Goldings hops
25grm Progress hops
2 x 1kg light dried malt extract
350g Crushed Crystal Malt
English Ale Yeast
I've read the forum how-to and this seems easier to folllow, reading through the ingredients would you advise to add anything else? does anyone know what sort of %age i would get from this brew.also how much water should I start out with if I'm aiming for around 19litres?
thanks
abeyptfc. :cheers:

Hi abeyptfc

That should give you around 4.1% at 19 litres or 3.3% if you made it 23 litres. I presume the Goldings are for the boil and the late flavour addition?

Cheers Tom

cheers
the instructions on the brewuk site - 15g of the Progress hops and 20g of Goldings. Boil for 30 mins. Add a further 10g of Progress hops and 15g of the Goldings and boil for a further 30 minutes. Add a further 15g of the Goldings for another 2 mins.

ive got some extra goldings and saaz in the house, would you recommend adding anymore hops?

That should be fine as it is but if you like some nice hop flavour in your beer you could add some extra Goldings after the boil has finished and has cooled to 80c :)

Cheers Tom

Latest posts

Back