How long to judge taste?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobWalker

Reaction score
Just got my xmas honey beer off and into the keg. recipe here;

Zee-Zee Hop
Brew Type: Partial Mash Date: 10/09/2011
Style: Light Blonde Beer Brewer: R. Walker
Batch Size: 5.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 1.60 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.0 % Equipment: Brew Pot (2 Gallon)
Actual Efficiency: 0.0
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 kg Light Dry Extract (15.8 EBC) Dry Extract 62.5 %
0.20 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (5.9 EBC) Grain 6.3 %
0.10 kg Amber Malt (43.3 EBC) Grain 3.1 %
30.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min) Hops 7.9 IBU
15.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (30 min) Hops 3.4 IBU
10.00 gm Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (10 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
0.90 kg Honey (2.0 EBC) Sugar 28.1 %
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.056 SG (1.035-1.050 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.052 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.008-1.015 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.014 SG
Estimated Color: 13.0 EBC (3.9-15.8 EBC) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 12.3 IBU (8.0-20.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.6 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 5.4 % (3.8-5.5 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.0 %
Actual Calories: 232 cal/pint

Bear in mind the low boil volume with hop quantities. I've made this to tailor to the lager drinkers, but the flavour overall seems to be thin, and it's got a definite sweet fizziness to it...think Haribo Starmix. hahah.

It's definitely fermented out, it cleared in the bucket is it was kegged an hour ago. It's very slightly cloudy still but not much at all. I'm wondering if it's too soon to judge the flavour of it, or whether boiling some hops for 60 mins and adding in would be a good idea?

I would. You need more bitterness to counteract the residual sweetness. Generally, higher alc beer will have more residual sweetness and therefore needs more bittering hops. 12 ibu is far too low. 30 minimum I'd say but my tastes would go with around 50 for that.

I hit 12 on purpose to simulate a sort of lager-ale as it's gonna be drunk by everyone over xmas. not a great idea with goldings I don't reakon! that's interesting to note on the counteraction, then again I suppose that's why hops were added in the first place :p

would it be worth bittering it up with some hallertau a bit, instead of ale hops? i've got some spare...how much and how much water should I boil it in? I'd like to keep it quite low on the bitterness if possible, but bitter enough to have a bit of flavour.

Yeah those hops are a good call. I'd use an amount to equal about 20 ibu. Use as little water as possible. A medium pan about half full. You can always evaporate it off. Don't forget about straining the hops or use a muslin bag.

Back