Oxi Clean for Cornys

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bob downe

Reaction score
Hello,

I've recently decided to go the Corny route for kegging. I've been told to keep Chlorine based products away from the Stainless Steel at all costs.

I've always used a mild bleach solution on my kit for cleaning and sanitising and after 15 All grain brews, I've never head an infection (touch wood - Got a new brew in the keg :pray: )

A lot of people have suggested using Oxi clean (Or Alternative) which from what I can tell breaks down into Hydrogen Peroxide. I know it's brilliant for cleaning stainless steel thermos flasks! :thumb:

Do you need to bother sanitising after using Oxi Clean as Hydrogen Peroxide is a good sanitising agent?

If anybody thinks Oxi Clean is not a good sanitising agent and thinks that I would still need to sanitise, what products would you good folks suggest?

Thanks,

hi bob, i usually rinse my cornie out 4 or 5 times with tap water, then force tap water throuugh the beer dip tube to get any beer residue out . then add 1-2 scoops( spoon usually included in oxiclean products),then depending on time i would usually put the lid on and leave for a few hours or even overnight so the oxi action can clean the inside of the cornie, then once again, connect to gas with a few psi, force the oxi action solution through the beer out dip tube, then empty, rinse out with tap water another 4 or 5 times, then rinse tap water through dip tube. you will have to sanitise it afterwards, the easiest way is using a non rinse sanitiser such as starsan or videne, i swear by using starsan saniclean - the low foam version of starsan, never had a problem and you can keep using it for a few months afterwards.run some starsan through beer dip tube before serving to make sure everything is probably sanitise. see youtube vids below, i think there is 4 from the same guy that details the water- oxi action-starsan process.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7MDb0IuLs&list=UUkforfGr_EUfBeVUCceGrDg&index=7&feature=plcp

Hi,
That seems like a good thorough cleaning process you do there. I've heard about the low foam Sani Clean stuff. Do you have a reliable place to buy it?

I've heard normal sani clean is becoming hard to get in the UK. Just wondering if the low foam stuff is easier to obtain?

Cheers,

Latest posts

Back