Prob been asked a million times before

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H0N3YoM0N5T3R

Reaction score
what is a good reading to get before kegging up. mine reads about 1.010 at the min and it dont seem to be doing much at the moment. i have moved it as close to the airing cupboard as possible. there is still a build up of gas if i lightly press on the lid of the bucket

any comments greatfull.

Simple answer: if it's reading 1.010 for a few days straight, then that's good.

Complex answer: You need to take into account your mash temp, fermentable sugars, water profile, yeast target attenuation, ambient temperature, and other things I'm forgetting.

Go with the simple answer :)

i am totaly new to this so hence the really stupid question. should i of took a reading before i started the fermention. just so i know for new time.

cheers

Yes, if you take a reading prior to fermentation, often noted as OG for Original Gravity, then you'll be able to calculate the level of alcohol in your finished product.

Pinck said:
Yes, if you take a reading prior to fermentation, often noted as OG for Original Gravity, then you'll be able to calculate the level of alcohol in your finished product.

cheers mate noted for future brewing.

If it has a stable reading for three days then it is done, however it is best leaving it at the temp you brewed at for a few more days as the yeast will metabolise some of the other by products of fermentation resulting in a better beer. Then put it somewhere cool garage floor shed or cold room are all ideal. Then once it is clear you can bottle.

:thumb:

Back