Useless rookie needs help - can I re-prime in the bottle?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

falstaff

Reaction score
Hi folks - a simple question I hope:
I've bottled up some AG stout with 5g per litre of sugar. It's been conditioning for a couple of weeks and on first tasting it seems a tad too flat fizz-wise and a little harsh on the after taste. I'm thinking is it possible to re-prime by opening the bottles quickly (they're flip-top) and putting in say another gram of sugar? I'm aiming to get it a little sweeter with a touch more fizz.
Are such things possible? Appreciate any help, thanks.

It probably needs more time I usually bottle and leave at 21c for a week then leave for a minimum of 4 weeks, obviously sampling along the way. :thumb:

I can't see any reason why not, might take more than a gram though if it's as flat as you say. Hopefully the yeast hasn't went the way of the dodo.

graysalchemy said:
It probably needs more time I usually bottle and leave at 21c for a week then leave for a minimum of 4 weeks, obviously sampling along the way. :thumb:

I left it as suggested but not quite for 4 weeks. However I tasted it again last week and it was good and eventually all drunk at the village Jubillee lunch.....
Many thanks for the advice.

Latest posts

Back