Tannin (prob been asked a million times)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IThinkINeeedHelp

Reaction score
Im a newbie to the whole home brew malarky and was just wondering about tannin. The Youngs pot says stir 2-3 times a day for 4-5 days. I thought the least amount of movement the better or is this stiring before the yeast is added..or is the tea bag effect just as good and does that need stiring,

cheers :drunk:

Hi and welcome to the forum. I can't answer your question as I only brew beer but someone else I'm sure will know the answer.

I just use a strong cup of black tea made with 2 tea bags as I've found that tannnin is hard to get it to dissolve properly.

ive only used Tea as well so far. didnt think to add to my order when i got everything to start off and everythign on here seems to say its fine. :)

So 1 cup of tea with the bag in for 15 mins, does how many gallons?? or just 1 cup no matter if 1 or 5

thanks for the replies.... the cup of tea sounds easier... any brand??? just not earl grey ...lol

I use PG Tips myself, only because that's what's in the cupboard, and 2 teabags for 15-20 mins. I use that for 1 gallon as that's the biggest I've ever brewed.

Never have a problem mixing in tannin but if you mix it into a paste first then it will mix much better. Tannin powder is better than tea as tea is not just tannin and it is hard to judge how much to use, but it is a good substitute if you haven't got any tannin powder. :thumb: :thumb:

I've made wines with teabag tannin that definitely have a tea taste to them so you would probably be best to go for powdered tannin. It's hard to judge how long is too long.

I used some earl grey once in a cider hoping for some Bergamot notes to come through but got didley squat out of it :x :x

Whether or not you stir rather depends upon what you're making. If you've got fresh fruits in a bucket, then yes, that needs stirring 2-3 times a day for up to a week. If you're making something like a juice or cordial wine with no solid ingredients it doesn't need stirring.

I mix my powdered tannin in with the dry sugar to avoid any clumping.

Latest posts

Back