Are 3 part Ball Valves worth paying the extra for ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyBWood

Regular.
Reaction score
Evening All,

My Shiny pots are on their way from Germany and I now need to decide how I turn them into worthy brewing containers.

Ball valves seem to come in various shapes, sizes and, perhaps most importantly, prices. So, the question is in the title; is it worth paying the extra for the 3 part models ?

The one used in many of the builds on this forum comes in at around £16 (and I’m going to need 3 of them plus the bulkheads) but there are far cheaper alternatives. I can go cheap and maybe upgrade later but, if it’s worth it, I’ll cough up now.

Worthwhile investment or not ? Your thoughts please.........

Cheers

not a clue... sorry, but i'd be interested in knowing the answer to this too. Oh and Out of Interest how much were the pots from Germany and what sizes did you get?

This is a good question fella, i've got a 3 piecer on my boiler from Rob, and in my converted shed I've got a pegler ball valve from screwfix for my mains cold water in tap. I've got a 30l pot i'm going to use for an HLT and I've asked myself this question too. I found a chandler on ebay who does a bulkhead fitting for £11 for a pair, pegler valve £7 - think i am going to go for this option.

LB -
50 litre pans with lid were £34 each. I got two; one for HLT and one for the Boiler.
32.5 litre Thermobox was £51
Postage was about £24 for the three items.

I understand, however, that you may be able to get a little off the price if you don't go via ebay but approach the company direct. Makes sense as they are saving the ebay commision, etc.

Cheers

For mash tun and fermenter yes, for HLT and boiler . . . not really . . . The great thing about three piece is that they split down for thorough cleaning

I've got 3 piece bv's on all my gear but as per Alemans advice they aren't really needed, I'd go one step further though and say a 1 piece would do for the mash tun.
Why 3 piece, Aleman hit on it but to elaborate, you can take a 3 piece bv off the pot without having to break the seal to the pot, so you don't have to dismantle everything. That's not really important for an fv as you'll most likely be stripping the lot down, but the 3 piece comes into it's own on all pots for those times when you don't have enough time to clean properly and come back to find a sticky mouldy valve that really needs stripping :whistle: :lol:

Evening All,

If anyone is considering purchasing these three part valves then I can wholeheartedly recommend.

I’m no engineer but these reek quality straight out of the packaging; full marks :thumb:

NB - Stainless hose tails extra; not supplied with valve.

8246979419_e313e54e02_b.jpg

i just got some SS valves 1 piece and 3 piece via ebay.. the 3 piece valves are close to full bore while the 1 piece valves have a much narrower bore, so if speed of flow is important, look at the 3 piece ones.

i just got some SS valves 1 piece and 3 piece via ebay.. the 3 piece valves are close to full bore while the 1 piece valves have a much narrower bore, so if speed of flow is important, look at the 3 piece ones.
Are those from the Chinese supplier :hmm: If so I've had some fittings from them and they've been hit and miss, cracked 1/2" stainless threads...rough internal bore to fittings and threads that simply don't work :( They were great in sending replacements but the time taken, my money would have been better spent at BES APU.

Vossy1 said:
Are those from the Chinese supplier :hmm: If so I've had some fittings from them and they've been hit and miss, cracked 1/2" stainless threads...rough internal bore to fittings and threads that simply don't work :( They were great in sending replacements but the time taken, my money would have been better spent at BES APU.
Yep chinese ones 2 of each arrived pretty quickly all seem ok, tho one of the 1 piece jobbies has a bit of flappy ptfe visible thru the open bore? tho ive just inspected and tested the ntp threads on a bsp nipple.

the list of bits needed is shrinkin and the job of building is looming... circa £7 each for the 3 piece ones tho be carefull if sticking in your ebay basket for later some i stuck in there a while back were replaced with listings asking circa £20 a pop!!

Latest posts

Back