Dodgy can or ok??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeds Chimp

Reaction score
Just about to put a brew on and opened the can of Wilko Hoppy Copper and found this in both cans

Ok to use or take back as not seen this before in any of them??

can 1

Can 2

Hello mate. I am pretty new to this but I'm sure when i did my first brew it had some of this stuff swirled through it. I guessed it was just some of the ingredients separating or something. but ive just just finished mine and it seems to have come out ok. It might be worth getting the opinion of a more experienced brewer just in case.

Good luck with your brew. :D

I normally see a white froth on the top of my cans which I have taken to be the norm. Your can 1 looks ok but can 2 looks like something is floating in the kit with some of it above the surface, I'd be suspicious of that one but hopefully somebody else will have experienced something similar and be able to set our mind at rest.

My initial reaction was not good. However, if you consider what it is, i.e. a condensed sugary solution, I guess it could just be some if the sugars that have congeled together. I've never seen it before but I'd try warming it up in a pan and seeing if it returns to a viscous liquid like you might expect.

iTs certainly worth sending those pictures to wilkinsons customer service even if you used them. Never seen anything like the second can but the first looks normal.

Looks alright tbh. I would heat up and see if the pulp dissolves back into the solution with constant stirring . That way you know it's fine. Just looks a bit congealed but if its been in a sealed can and its in date I would bet that its fine.

Edit: or what Jonnymorris said

Should have read the whole post before posting :tongue:

It looks fine to me, I've done a couple of those and it looked like those pics. Best one yet (i'm still quite new to home brew, but not to drinking beer!

I brewed mine to 18 litres.

Matt

Extract can go off pretty quick when opened. I did a test brew once with half a can of straight malt extract and sealed the other half back in the can with plastic and silver paper. Two weeks later it had more hair than I do :sick:

I would use them as normal and still send the pictures to wilko customer services, you never know they may send you 2 more kits to replace them. :D

Latest posts

Back