Re: St Peters Cream Stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just came home after a fireworks party, I took a minikeg and every that tried the stout loved it.

The St. Peter's cream stout at present.
Next job is getting my bottles ready :thumb:

Ps. I looked on google images and suprised to a label. 6.5%abv. !

got mine tucked away for crimbo but had a one for quality control purposes last night and the smell and taste isnt to far from Guinness foreign extra stout , prolly put another on next week might add some muscavado sugar and see what happens :cheers:

I have my first home brew on fermenting at the moment but this is what i want to try next.

I have brewed mine according to the instructions, made up to 36 pints, but have added 250 g of Demerera sugar and I am brewing with yeast cultured from Fullers 1845. It has been in the FV for 4 days and smells/looks good.

Wow. What a stout. Just sampled a bottle of this fine stout. Yes it's creamy. And delicious. It will be better I plan to keep it in the bottle until well into the new year. And I have purchased a bottle of. Tia Maria. Yes just put a small measure in the glass pour the stout on top and it's like velvet so smooth. :thumb: And it's very very mourish. :drink:

Let me know. Folks.

just bottled my brew smells lovely looks great kept at about 22 degrees and had about 4 inches of froth while fermenting left 10 days before bottling and is due to go outside to clear hopefully ready for christmas :clap: :drink:

Bottled this on Sunday - Carbed up Nicely and Ready to go outside to condition in the cold for christmas.

Very Good Kit - I brewed up to the recommendations with the addition of 500g muscovado Sugar (well it is christmas after all)

It smelt amazing during making the kit up and dropped down to the correct gravity with no dramas - bottled up in 500ml Bottles and wrapped on up for the kids to leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve - will post some pictures of the finished product when its conditioned up. Will Definitely be doing again. :drink:

Does this usually take a while to Carb up? Mine have been in the warm for a week - decided to try one - you know just as a test mind, very small phzz on opening the bottle and flat as a pancake - tasted fine - I'm just hoping that I've not dropped a ball at somepoint - as due to family commitments it had a week longer than it should in the FV........

D

I bottled a Cream Stout last Sunday too, and just this minute gave into curiosity and cracked one open. Like yours, dpclark1977, it's still pretty flat - there's a slight tingle on the tongue but no head to speak of. Extremely tasty, though. The house is pretty cold at the moment so I'll give it another week or two and then try again.

:thumb: I've now got mine wrapped up in a quilt to help them along - so Im sat now thinking positive C02 thoughts for the stout - As with yours its very tasty - so Im hoping for some carbonation and a nice white head on them when I open at Christmas......if I can hold myself back long enough without sampling that is - you know - for science ;-)

Had the first bottle of mine last night. Tasted really nice. Got a good head on it after it was poured.

yqyra4a6.jpg

Got one of these for crimbo, have high hopes for it. Is adding muscavdo sugar the best addition to the brew?

Is there any chance of getting some more SG/FG values from others who have done this kit please?

I started mine on 29/12/2013 with a SG of 1038 and today (6/1/2014) I have a reading of 1013, but according the the calculator on here I would have to achieve 1000 to hit the target 5% mark which seems unrealistically low (to my novice eye). The kit also says that the target FG is 1014, so what has gone wrong? Should my SG have been significantly higher, ie could I have added too much water somehow?

Have others achieved the 5% target using kit instructions?

I tasted the sample and it was bloomin' lovely by the way.
I will leave it for another 2 days and check again to see if it remains constant, but if others could let me know their gravity readings that would be very helpful.

Mine started at 1.042 and ended at 1.012, giving about 4.0% by my reckoning. It's hard to imagine a standard-sized two-can kit hitting 5.0% without brewing a lot shorter than 20.5 litres.

Very tasty stuff, though, with a cracking head.

Thanks again.
I am quickly learning that the predicted ABV on the kits is 'rather optimistic' to say the least.

Not dissimilar to the 'predicted timescales' they put on the kits too.....

Tried one tonight - a bottle swap from my LHBS. nice pour, good head, tasty enough. I suspect this would make a good sessionable stout, but it lacked the depth of flavour I had from my Coopers Irish Stout. Don't get me wrong, it was good; certainly commercial quality, but I think better stout kits exist.

After being carbed for 2 weeks in the warm after bottling, then just 1 week in the cold I could wait no longer. I cracked open the first bottle of my first ever home brew:

I think it is still a bit young and I think it will soften/develop with time but my first trial was lovely.

The stout has carbed up a bit, but is not what I would describe as creamy, it did have a bit of 'fizz' on the tongue though - a bit like Guinness Original. It is quite a heavy beer in texture, which I like, so I could happily sup a few in the winter months, but it may be a bit heavy for the warmer days/evenings over the summer.

It has a really lovely burnt caramel taste which gives a nice bitter initial flavour which is somehow sweet without actually being sweet (?!). My wife tasted bananas when she tried some, but I didn't get that at all. Others on here have described liquoriche, which I can agree with to a point, but I didn't get any aniseed at all.

Cracking pint though, so now waiting for a few more weeks to see how it develops....

Latest posts

Back