Anyone good with cars?advice needed!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanshelton

Landlord.
Reaction score
Swmbo informed me yesterday that her mot on her car expired 2 weeks ago so it's gone into HIQ today.

It's failed.

Apparently it's the flexible exhaust manifold? Quoted at £150
And also the brake pipe needs replacing. Quoted £55

Its a 2001 ford focus and the exhaust quote seems high. Any thoughts?

55 notes for a brake pipe sounds about right considering it's a pita job when you haven't got the gear. As for the flex exhaust manifold. :wha: google it, eBay it, Euro Car Parts it to get an idea of how much one would be in order to see if they're having your pants down when you factor in their labour time.
Good luck.

Some focus's came out the factory with one or two piece exhausts. Kwik fit etc sell 3 or 4 piece exhausts but of course the first time you replace it you have to replace the whole lot. So that quote may not be too far off the mark. Also if its the exhaust manifold itself thats gone they aren't usually cheap. My old punto had a combined downpipe/cat so that stung when it needed replacing.

My thought would be get them to do the brake pipe, as already stated it can be a pita job without the right equipment. Even then you need the knowledge on bleeding the brakes properly. Such an important safety feature i wouldn't mess with it unless you know what your upto.

If you're handy with a set of spanners and have a set of ramps or stands then the exhaust may not be too bad to do yourself which will save quite a bit. Just be prepared for laying on the cold floor and all kinds of **** falling in your eyes lol.

HTH

they go for about 50 quid
special or race speck ones start at about 150 upwards but fitting cost is dependant on your garage.
so if your getting it fitted not too bad a price

think i paid 150 for the exhaust to be replaced on a ford KA 2001, that was the end and the middle sections...

why not ring a couple of garages, explain the problem and see if they can give you a rough price?

Sounds like all they are replacing is the flex manifold which I can pick up for around £40. Obviously for that price it's used but the car is 12 years old so it doesn't really bother me.
I rang another garage but he wanted to know what they had quoted before he would quote and all the smaller ones are closed on Saturdays so cant do anything until Monday.

i payed around that price for my focus 2003. only prob i had was the flexi but couldnt get the seperate for my model and had to have the complete front section from headers to the flexi pipe