AG#7 Adnams Explorer, well not really

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMumbler

Landlord.
Reaction score
Beer based roughly on the recipe for Adnams Explorer in Graham Wheeler's BYOBRA 3rd ed
Grain bill was increased around 10% as I wanted to use up the end of my MO, the sugar addition was not increased. Black malt addition for colour was omitted.
Hopping was increased as my hops weren't of the best quality and the schedule changed a little.

60g Liberty @ 90
15g Liberty @ 15
25g Liberty @ 0

1tsp gypsum added to the mash and boil

I was brewing at lancssteve's using his kit as my house is a building site at them moment, so the pressure was on to have the house cleaned up before his wife got home.

The Grain
4340072675_43965b9600.jpg

Doughing in
4340073979_fa61a3f845.jpg

Then a quick break to try Steve's Rye beer. The first time I've ever tried a rye beer.It was good, a bit like a spicier wheat beer I guess. Quite a different flavour to anything I've had before. A touch on the foamy side though...
4340071077_6fde80c390.jpg

Start of running off (after recirculating turbid wort)
4340817010_5609f1d240.jpg

This was my first attempt at fly sparging, I'm sure nothing could go wrong with this set up :)
4340073073_b2a3d069ac.jpg

The Wort, OG 1052 which was quite a bit stronger than target, also short on volume (19l instead of 23l), still looked and tasted OK.
4340072213_401441999c.jpg

Grabbed 8 crates on the way there, pies and beer for lunch and clean up on schedule. All in all a good day. Hopefully the beer will turn out OK

I bet that will be a tasty brew - why didn`t you just top up with water to bring your OG down and increase your brewlength? :thumb:

Nice mate to lend you his kit :thumb:
Looks good hope it come out how you want it :cheers:

rickthebrew said:
I bet that will be a tasty brew - why didn`t you just top up with water to bring your OG down and increase your brewlength? :thumb:
I did think about that but was unsure about adding unboiled water to the wort. Mind you that is what I was doing with kits...In the end I figured that I didn't mind it being a bit stronger, 1052 isn't going to end up being crazy juice or anything :) That would be the barley wine we did the other week which has so far got down to 1060. Steve has the pictures for that parti-gyle.
Sean_Mc said:
Sounds like a good day and my kind of lunch :thumb:
it was good, first taste of a rye beer plus Potts pies which are outstanding

Latest posts

Back