What will be your next three brews?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morethanworts

Landlord.
Reaction score
...if you plan ahead that far! More if you plan further.

I increasingly find myself trying to plan further ahead, mainly to save postage charges, but also because I have to start focusing in and researching what I'm going to do - whittling down all the options.

Here are my next five:

Belgian Tripel (WY3787/Pilsner/Wheat/Candi/Dextrose Northern Brewer bittering - a repeat of my brew three brews back). Love it!
A hoppy Galaxy pale ale with us-05 - not my usual thing, but something of the moment
Oaked version of my recent ESB (s-04/MO/Crystal/black/Northern Brewer/Williamette/EKG)
More Tripel, this time with WLP 530, white labs equivalent of 3787, just to check
Rochefort 8 Clone

I have the ingredients either in, or on order, for everything apart from the Rochefort. The second tripel may change if I manage to get a successful harvest from a friend's bottle he brought back from Belgium. If I try to go any further than that, I know I will have missed something by then and will end up making another order (inc post charges) anyway.

I buy a 25KG sack of grain and a selection of other grains and yeast's then make it up as I go along which some times means I have to place a small order if I need extra ingredients.

A week ago Sat I made a wheat beer (re-run of one I made last year) this week an AIPA style and the brew after that I need to make my mind up on either Sasion, Kolsch, Belgian or something else.

Jimmy321 said:
I buy a 25KG sack of grain and a selection of other grains and yeast's then make it up as I go along which some times means I have to place a small order if I need extra ingredients.

A week ago Sat I made a wheat beer (re-run of one I made last year) this week an AIPA style and the brew after that I need to make my mind up on either Sasion, Kolsch, Belgian or something else.
I'm pretty much the same. I always plan my next brew a couple of weeks in advance but that's about as far as it goes

Have only got two in mind so far

An amber (or red if I buy some roasted barley) ale (light DME + caraamber) with Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo, using S-04

A repeat of a Casacde IPA (light DME + steeped crystal 150EBC) I currently have conditioning, but using US-05 instead of that batches S-04, so I can learn a bit about the different yeast flavours.

1 - Boadicea's Chariot
Grain Bill:
3.0kg MO
300g DCM
300g Oats (glucan rested)
500g Abbey Malt
36l water to start
Campden Tablet
Hops:
90 mins FWH 30g Boadicea 7.1%
Moss @ 15 mins
10 mins 30g Boadicea
Flame out - 30g Boadicea
Dry hop/ priming
40g Boadicea hop tea & 125g sugar to prime
IBU’s: 34.4

Planning more vaguely -
Therapy Beer (prototype experiment - aiming for a nutritious malty brew with heavy mouthfeel and around 5% abv)
Grain Bill:
4.0kg MO
500g amber malt
500g Special B
300g special caramalt
Undecided as to what hops to use - I have one of Rob's twitterbales of Flyer which I might experiment with.
Also not decided on the yeast to use for either brew.

Also in the pipeline due to being tasty
roast rye porter / black ryePA - hopped with chinook, citra and Centennial
Chocolate Stout with cacoa nibs pickled in rum...

Any thoughts on these esp suggestions re: hops for the therapy beer gratefully received :-)

I go to Leyland homebrew and buy what I need for each brew, so don't plan ahead. The next 3 are likely to be 2 pale ales with mainly American hops (Amarillo, Chinnok and Citra) and a workaday bitter at about 1042 OG for my pressure barrel. :thumb:

Normal rye malt (pale) or the dark roast rye, Nick?
I use both (since accidentally buying about 3kg of roast rye when I meant to get pale rye malt...)
I like to use the pale rye with american hops like centennial or chinook, a smidgen of something for colour and a maris otter base - I could post the recipe if you are interested.
The dark portery one is similar, but skips pale rye for roast instead and adds about 7% dark crystal as well. Comes out a bit like how you'd imagine a Brewdog version of Theakston's Olde P.

I already have the ingredients for my next three:

1 - Pittsy's hefeweizen (AG with wlp380)
2 - Dr Smurto's golden ale (AG Amarillo pale ale, recipe available online. Highly recommended by an Aussie mate)
3 - a Nøgne Ø #100 clone (beast of a black IIPA / barley wine at around 1.090 OG & a veritable truckload of Centennial, Chinook & Columbus. Converted this one to partial mash as I BIAB... Will bump up the gravity with DME towards the end of the boil)

After this I'm thinking I really need to give a stout / porter a go, an American amber, & maybe a dunkelweizen!

Faux Belgian Kreik - Chimay Yeast re-cultured from a bottle Around 8%
Bohemian Pilsner - Weihenstephan Yeast 5.2%
Hybrid golden ale - Saaz and Stryian to around 4.1%

Aleman said:
Faux Belgian Kreik - Chimay Yeast re-cultured from a bottle Around 8%
Bohemian Pilsner - Weihenstephan Yeast 5.2%
Hybrid golden ale - Saaz and Stryian to around 4.1%

Just out of interest, knowing that you're not one for false economy, I wonder why you're going for the re-cultured Chimay yeast, rather than WLP500 or Wyeast equivalent in your (presumably non-lambicky) kriek.

I'm looking to culture one up some time, just so that I've done it at least once, and I've read that lower end ABV Chimay is a goody. That said, if WY/WL is just as good...

Always plan in advance and my 'to brew' list seems to always get longer.

Buy my ingredients for two brews at a time, although I've bought ahead the sort of Hops which sell out quickly.

Next (hopefully this weekend) is a Nelson Sauvin single hop beer -Thornbridge Kipling(ish).

Then the 1885 Younger's XP recipe from the Ron Pattinson book.

Then a wheat beer for the summer (probably a Kristal Weizen).

Then a blonde/golden ale with Citra.

Next brew is deffo Pittsys Hefeweizen after seeing so many good reviews of it. Going for the decoction mash on this one too.
Then after drinking Thornbridge Kipling ale (and I have 2x 100g of Nelson Sauvin) I want to do a single hop ale.

Boil Size: 34.49 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.23 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Bottling Volume: 21.60 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 8.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 37.9 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.90 kg Pale Malt, Maris Otter (5.9 EBC) Grain 1 73.6 %
1.20 kg Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 2 22.6 %
0.20 kg Wheat Malt, Ger (3.9 EBC) Grain 3 3.8 %
20.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 4 25.0 IBUs
15.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 5 8.7 IBUs
5.00 g Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 6 -
10.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.2 IBUs
25.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Steep/Whirlpoo Hop 8 0.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124 Yeast 9 -
30.00 g Nelson Sauvin [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Da Hop 10 0.0 IBUs

Having just bottled my first Wherry, next in line is a:

1st. Woodfordes Sundew
2nd. St Peters Ruby Red.
3rd, I'm not sure as I haven't bought it yet, but thinking of either a Brupaks Colne Valley, or Festivals Stag Summer Ale.

Planning is nearly as good as the making.

I've done some bulk buying from the sponsors and have the ingredients for quite a lot of brews.
The following are all planned but in no particular order;

Brewferm Framboise
Pilsner using Saaz (extract)
Wheat Beer (AG)
Southern English Brown (AG)
Sweet Velvet Stout (AG)

Nick - this is the one I created - I have made it several times and it is definitely improved by using lots of centennial to make a hop tea (or dry hop if that's your thing)
Grain Bill:
4kg MO
1kg Pale Rye Malt
250g Weyermann Carared EBC 40-50
500g Pale Wheat Malt
50g Roast Rye malt
Hops:
60 mins Chinook 20g 13.3%aa & Campden Tablet
Citra & Chinook 30g each 15 mins & Irish Moss
Chinook & Citra 20g each flameout
Citra/Chinook/Centennial hop tea - 30g of each

IBU's - 67.7
Length 23L
Target OG - 1.056

It came out pretty tasty but the wheat seems to have made it hard to clear perfectly. Small price to pay for a tasty beer though :-)

I usually plan ahead, usually enough to use up a 25kg sack of pale malt and add all the speciality grains and hops to the same online order. Mainly to save on postage but also to save from having to be around for a delivery.

My LHB shop is quite well stocked these days so I will occasional change what I am brewing and add in the odd extra brew here and there.

This can mean that some of the grains have been crushed by to 6 months before a brewday but keeping them in individual air tight packets I don’t really have any issues.

I’ve now changed my setup so I can do smaller batches of 2 to 3 gallons so I can increase the verity of beers I have and also so some experimenting, also trying smaller batches might mean I can do double brew days too.

So with doing more experimenting then I can see that planning ahead too far might be a problem or create some unwanted ingredients so I am kind of unsure how things will work out.

My next brews, in no particulate order, are:

5 gallon: wheat beer, IPA, London porter
3 x 3 gallons of SMaSH (so I can try out some different hops on their own)

(I know the topic is the next 3 brews but I've listed a few more :D )

Back