judge my recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Str_pt

Reaction score
Hi, first post!

My friend and I have been wanting to get into brewing for a while now, finally time (and money!) permits us to give it a shot.
Since we're newbies we're aiming to keep things relatively simple (but still want a bit of a challenge and a decent end product, so we've decided not to use a kit)

We've thrown together this recipe over the last few weeks for a 4% ABV, ~50IBU pale ale of 30L batch size. Aiming for a good chunk of flavor, mild carbonation and a sort of fruity/floral taste without going overboard on the sweetness.

I've used brewmate as my main source of maths.

Malt:
3KG pale malt extract, Liquid
500g pale malt extract, Dried

generic real ale yeast

For boil:
20g pilgrim @60 mins
15g pilgrim @30 mins
15g pilgrim @15 mins
40g cascade + 10g citra @10 mins

For finish:
40g citra + 10g cascade

Ferment for 2 weeks
mix with 120g priming sugar
bottle
leave 2 weeks to condition
???
profit

Is this a reasonable recipe? I'd love to hear some constructive criticism.
I'd also like advice about the hops, am I using too much or too little? Also, I'm tempted to just leave all of them in the juice until bottling however I hear leaving hops in beer for too long results in a weird grassy flavor..

Thanks for reading and any feedback you leave!

Edit: was informed elsewhere that 300g priming sugar would match a small grenade in terms of explosive force..

Might be a little heavy on the cascade right at the end, however it does depend on your taste not mine.

I might try

20g pilgrim @60 mins with 20g cascade
15g pilgrim @30 mins with 10g cascade
15g pilgrim @15 mins
10g citra @10 mins

and finish 10g cascade

I remove the hops from the boil when transferreing to the fermenter, once fermentation has almost stopped I dry hop for a week, however dont overdo it a little hops go a long way.

Citra ia a nice one for dry hopping, but then again so is cascade!

good luck let us know how it turns out!!

I condition mine for nearer 6 but try it after 2 and see, then try it at 4 weeks as well

Back