new Coopers PET bottles (to clean or not to clean)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadrunner

Reaction score
Hi, sorry for a newbie question but I am about to bottle my second batch ever in about 2-3 days time and was wondering if anyone used the Coopers PET bottles straight out of the box? I know they say at coopers that they're good to go if its the first time they are being used ( after that they need to be sanitised etc which is obvious) Not a great fan of a PET bottles but would like to use them at least once. I bottled my first batch couple of days ago using the glass bottles which I dry sterilised in the oven and that is what I intend to be doing for glass , as it will allow me to do 10-15 at the time when I gather them , dry sterilise covered with kitchen foil and put them away in the box ready for another bottling day. I have another stash of 50 glass bottles ready in the box, but would rather keep em for a stout (next in line to brew) So the question is: can I use the PETs as they are without sanitising (as advised at coopers)? Trouble is I do not have any dedicated draining or rinsing equipment and only Sodium Percarbonate to work with atm but am not so sure about using the bottles unclean. Not a great fan of using it on PEts (the bruclean) as I would need to rinse it away after soaking and will be left with nowhere to drain them. Any advice greatly apreciated, and apologies if it was covered in another thread. I tried searching the forum but all threads seem to lead to the conclusion that it is best to use starsan or Videne , and as I said I do not have it (yet). Still trying to source the Videne but my local pharmacies either do not want to sell it without prescription or don't know what I am talking about.
Regards,
Roadrunner

Put it this way - if you don't sterilise/sanitise you run the risk of infection and the loss of your brew. If you do sterilise/sanitise you don't.

For the effort involved, it's not worth the risk in my opinion.

FatCol

Thats what I thought too hence the question above. Still do not know how to best utilize what I've got though (sodium percb). Thinking that if I use it and rinse with a tap water it would defeat the purpose of using a sanitiser in a first place (since the tap water may be well full of s... itself) and draining them on a worktop don't look to apealing to me either. HAs anyone here used the wilkos bruclean (sodium percb) to sanitise bottles? (PET bottles that is?) At which strenght is it a non rinse agent (if any?) Having now googled for couple of days I know even less than when I started googling. Some say it is non rinse others say something else. Would be great if someone who used it posted about their experience please :pray:

i have just bought these bottles and i washed them out and sterilized them using a bottle rinser

Don't worry about tap water there is enough chloride in it to stay sterile enough to rinse sterile bottles with

:)
I sanitised them yesterday with wilkos bruclens and rinsed them using filtered tap water. For draining I made a temporary drainer (drilled series of holes using a 35mm hinge drill bit on a 6foot 3x1 planed board that I had left over from building a fermentation cabinet).This was then placed between two chairs, allowing me to put the bottles up side down in the holes for draining. Holes being 35mm in diameter allowed me to insert the bottles without touching the sides of holes , and I had enough clearance underneath to easily wrap the tops with aluminium kitchen foil when dry and still upside down , before pulling them out and inserting another batch of bottles to drain. Not perfect I know and I am going to order the draining tree and a proper washer along with a star-san, but it did its job this time. All in all I am ready for the beer which should be ready to bottle about tomorrow or day after (acording to my hydrometer which is sitting in the same position sampled yesterday and today but intend to leave for another day or so just to make sure.
RR

Latest posts

Back