Clean bottles and de-labeling

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markm1878

Reaction score
Just cleaned a load of bottles. Most had labels on and although I try to rinse out a bottle after use, it appears I neglected this on a few occasions so a few had mould in them.

I've tried a few things with bottles and just thought I'd share what i've found to be the easiest solution.

I used the wilko cleaner/sanitiser which costs about £1.20 at the moment. This is sodium percarbonate and i've found about 5 or 6 teaspoons to a sinkful of hot water is about right. A 10-15 min soak and some of the labels came off on their own and those that didn't lifted off very easily. I'd imagine its not great for skin so I wore rubber gloves. The dirty bottles didnt need a bottle brush. The cleaner lifted all the gunk.

A good rinse out is required ofcourse. I wouldn't use this every time I clean bottles because its not necessary, but it makes light work of those with labels or particularly dirty ones. Hope it helps someone.

I use the Wilko steriliser for most stuff, also Milton tabs are easy to drop in a demijohn and then are good for 24hrs so you can use it in more than 1 demijohn.

Scaff

Handy tip to know. I just cleaned and delabeled a plie of scrounged bottles last week. Boring and time consuming!

I also found out that my crown capper doesn't like Hobgoblin bottles as much as I do and that the yeast on the bottom of scrounged wheat beer bottles is made of concrete!

Sodium percarbonate will shift the yeast and get yourself a bench capper! They're great. I bottled for a year before i spent 30 quid on one and was gutted I didnt splash out sooner

Handy tip to know. I just cleaned and delabeled a plie of scrounged bottles last week. Boring and time consuming!

I also found out that my crown capper doesn't like Hobgoblin bottles as much as I do and that the yeast on the bottom of scrounged wheat beer bottles is made of concrete!

steep them overnight in the bath with oxi cleaner from aldies and the concrete yeast and the labels just fall of:cheers:

I've used oxiclean and its not been as effective imo. Granted its cheaper, but its not a big deal when talking a quid or two

Just cleaned a load of bottles. Most had labels on and although I try to rinse out a bottle after use, it appears I neglected this on a few occasions so a few had mould in them.

I've tried a few things with bottles and just thought I'd share what i've found to be the easiest solution.

I used the wilko cleaner/sanitiser which costs about £1.20 at the moment. This is sodium percarbonate and i've found about 5 or 6 teaspoons to a sinkful of hot water is about right. A 10-15 min soak and some of the labels came off on their own and those that didn't lifted off very easily. I'd imagine its not great for skin so I wore rubber gloves. The dirty bottles didnt need a bottle brush. The cleaner lifted all the gunk.

A good rinse out is required ofcourse. I wouldn't use this every time I clean bottles because its not necessary, but it makes light work of those with labels or particularly dirty ones. Hope it helps someone.

What's the Wilkos stuff called?

Latest posts

Back