Sorry......another Turbo Cider thread!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lobes

Reaction score
Howdy folks. Sorry to start another thread on a much discussed topic, but the more I read through the various threads the more I've kinda confused myself!!

Anyway, after a couple of months of feigning interest in my ale brews I think it's about time to get something on the go for the mrs. I've heard lots of good things about turbo cider so thought I'd give it a go. I've got 24l of not-from-concentrate juice and a couple of different yeasts. I do have a few questions though!!

1. I've got a packet and a half of Safale S04 yeast, and a couple of packets of Young's cider yeast. Which would you recommend? I've seen recommendations for both, what are the benefits?

2. Do I need to add any sugar to the juice? What about yeast nutrient?

3. Do I need to add pectolase? If so, how much and when?

4. Am I right in thinking that the black tea is added after fermentation has finished? Is a standard mug made with 2 teabags enough for a 24l batch?

5. Any other hints/tips/recommendations?

I think that's all I need to know for now, thanks in advance!! :pray:

Can't comment on the rest of the questions, but as for yeast, I'd go for the cider yeast. S-04 will work well too, but Young's would be my first choice. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply Monk. Is there any particular reason you prefer the cider yeast?

s-04 is a great yeast for ales. I always associate the flavor profile with bitters, though, and so it tastes a little weird in a cider, to me. That's pretty subjective, I know, but I can't avoid it. I've also used white labs 775 English Cider Yeast and it was very good--does what it says ("ferments dry but retains flavor of the fruit") in my experience. Costs a bit more, though.

I added 1 pint of tea made with 2 bags from the start i also added some yeast nutrient .I added 1kg of sugar when i made my first attempt it was bloody headbanging stuff i wouldnt recommend it the second was far better than the first hope this helps
Oh and for yeast i used champagne yeast supposed to finish a bit sweeter but still needed back sweetening with splenda

Cheers for the help guys! Think I'll go with the cider yeast then.

Also, how essential is the airlock? My FV doesn't have one at the moment. I've got a spare one, but haven't got a drill bit big enough!

31bb3 said:
I would thimk you will be fine to leave the lid loosly on top wait to see what anyone else says but im sure it will be fine

That's how I've always done it and never had a problem.

I'm on my 2nd batch of turbo now, and I'm well chufffed with the results. I used 4.5L(1 Gal) lidl 100% apple juice from concentrate, think it was about 74p for a 1.5L carton? Stuck that in a DJ with 200g of sugar and a sachet of Young's cider yeast, that gave a SG of 1.062 and after 6 days a FG of 1.000. That gives about an 8.2% I tried it at week 2 then every other week, I found it was best left for 6 weeks to mature, this improved flavour and carbonation no end.
Warning: Only 1 pint is needed for a warm fuzzy feeling to take hold!!!

Sounds good mate, cheers for the reply!

I've got 18l of Sainsburys apple juice fermenting away at the moment with a pack of cider yeast. Gonna add another 5-6l of juice tomorrow. S.G was 1044, so should end up around 6-7% I think?

BarnsleyBrewer said:
31bb3 said:
I added 1 pint of tea made with 2 bags from the start i also added some yeast nutrient .I
Why the tea bag?? :wha:
A bit of tannin provides a bit of 'bite' to the cider . . . cider apples are higher in tannin than the apples used for juice . . . so we need to replace it . . .I personally use grape tannin at 2/3rds the rate suggested for white wines

Well, the S.G's been at 1.000 for a few days now so I reckon it's ready. Was gonna bottle a few pints then stick the rest in a king keg. Is it better to prime with apple juice or sugar? How much? Do I need to add any pectolase or anything?

Lobes said:
Well, the S.G's been at 1.000 for a few days now so I reckon it's ready. Was gonna bottle a few pints then stick the rest in a king keg. Is it better to prime with apple juice or sugar? How much? Do I need to add any pectolase or anything?
You should have added the pectolase at the beginning of primary fermentation. However it is not essential. If I were you I would prime with sugar. You could prime with apple juice, however it is harder to get the correct carbonation. Also the overall taste should not be affected very much by the small amount of fermentables that you will be adding.
If I were you I would Relax, Not worry and have a homebrew. :cheers:

Also I have my own question. :hmm:
Is it ok to use a champagne yeast instead of a cider yeast for turbo cider? (I only have champagne yeast in the house).

Back