recycling spent grains??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beechwood

Regular.
Reaction score
Anyone tried reusing spent grains after a brew? I was thinking if I was to keep back the spent grains from say a single malt brew (a 2 gallon bitter or pale ale) then re-mash them with some fresh speciality malts and perhaps some DME to beef in out, I should get and fairly good 1 gallon brew (say a mild or stout)

I guess it depends on how efficient my sparging was in the first brew, anyone got any thoughts? :whistle:

I sometimes stick a cup of spent grains in a loaf in my breadmaker. Makes a nice change.

Making a second batch of beer from a mash will depend on what sugars are left in the grains. This is generally done when making a strong beer, because sparging all the sugars out creates too much pre boil wort for the strong ale, and lowers the gravity.

So I reckon you could make your second beer if your first beer is quite strong. Be aware that the last spargings won't taste as good as the first spargings. But you can add extract, or you can add some fresh grain to the mash, probably the better option.

I'm putting them in my compost bin at the bottom of the garden and will use them to improve the soil where my hops will be planted in the winter, so I will be recycling them into hops for starters. Don't know where the rest will go in future, because you do get quite a lot of material to chuck away if you do a few brews. I used to keep hens and they would have gone bonkers for stuff like this and then recycled the grain into eggs.

I've been wondering whether I could use the grains to feed the birds (sparrows and such) that visit my garden. I'll give it a go.Though obviously the sparrows will recycle into a less desirable product...

I'm also feeding my chickens with spent grain, it's amazing how quickly 4 of them can clear a few kilos up!

Craigtube made a video of how to make dog biscuits out of them.. although to be honest I have only ever seen him munch on them himself.

I bet you could make a half decent chocolate hobnob clone using spent grains. :thumb:

With all that husk? Pretty rough eating that.

I think there is probably a good reason why barley is almost entirely used in brewing and animal feed. Having said that, my mother used to add barley (refined) to vegetable soup and it was good.

YES - but on the same brew day only - google "parti-gyle"

AND - assuming you dont raise mash temps at the end to kill off the enzymes.

I did this recently after brewing a strong Imperial IPA (9%). I also added a kilo and a half of fresh grains including some dark crystal to change the malt and make a different style of wort and to boost the available starch, though this is not essential. It all depends on your original grain bill, how much sugar is still available in the second runnings, and what you want from the second brew. Mine became a nice session bitter at 3.5%

Chicken Food. Quite funny seeing them trying to eat hot spent grains, but they manage.

Latest posts

Back