Spent Grains in Compost Bin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarnsleyBrewer

Reaction score
I opened our green garden waste bin the council gave us the other day and all steam came out, I put my hand into the spent grains and they were red hot, :shock: when I put them in on Saturday they were cold...
according to my thermometer it was 55c... :eek:

Has anyone else experienced this? :roll:

BB

That's normal. On a winter's day, you can see steam rising off a good compost heap, or pile of cow muck.

That's good that is Barnsley.
Shows the compostting process is going nicely and the the bacteria are working away......keep the heap nice and damp and you'll have black gold in no time :thumb:

turned mine over a couple of days ago and found a patch thick with worms. I mean seriously it was pure worms! chucked a few in the pond for the fish.
I have before thought about the heat from the compost as a source to heat my pond in the winter. I may try it next year but was worried that if i take the heat out of the compost then i wouldnt get good compost very fast :(

Thats good for it too robsan.....turn it over every so often to get some air in to it :thumb:
The worms are helping the job too.....don't give too many to the fish :grin:

Not sure spent grains are a good addition to compost as they are cooked food stuff and could attract rats. Could be wrong and often am. :D

snail59 said:
Not sure spent grains are a good addition to compost as they are cooked food stuff and could attract rats. Could be wrong and often am. :D
They do I had some Roland's in mine when I put a pile in so now spread it thin on the garden, no probs since.

UP

Put a load in my "brown" council bin, it had a grey overcoat the next day.
3 emptyings later most of the damn things are still there!
I think it'll be the compost heap in future, rats and all.

ericstd said:
Put a load in my "brown" council bin, it had a grey overcoat the next day.
3 emptyings later most of the damn things are still there!
I think it'll be the compost heap in future, rats and all.
Mine had a nice overcoat on, the smell makes ya toes curl. :eek:

evanvine said:
I try and save mine for MD's chickens, but then I'm a creep!
I know a kid with chickens.... Do you dry it out first or give it damp as it is??

BarnsleyBrewer said:
I know a kid with chickens.... Do you dry it out first or give it damp as it is??
I've discovered that a neighbour of ours (over the road and 3 houses to the left) keeps chickens, although I can't say that I ever really hear them. When my tun has cooled down I dig my strainer out, then take the coolbox over the road.

It comes back later, emptied and washed :thumb:

I wonder how feeding Chickens spent brewing grain will affect there flavour :hmm:

If you added some yeast to the grain could you get them to lay Eggnog :whistle:

Oh is that coat mine.

i give a few tons a week to the local allotment society its very well recieved and everyone whos used it says their plots are the most productive in years

however we were approached by an organic farmers cooperative in chesire that do organic food deliveries about our beer, theyve now agreed (bit my hand off!) to come and move it once a week for their organicly fed cows whilst picking up the weekly beer order, which gives me an extra 4 odd hours to do something else around the brewery.....

Latest posts

Back