Really useless information

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghb

Regular.
Reaction score
In a moment of boredom I looked into how much co2 is produced during brewing a litre of beer. It would seem that brewing a litre of average beer produces about as much co2 as driving 0.5KM in an Audi A3 1.4
Beer co2/ltr 62g
Audi co2/km 124g

now isn't that fascinating?

In a moment of boredom I looked into how much co2 is produced during brewing a litre of beer. It would seem that brewing a litre of average beer produces about as much co2 as driving 0.5KM in an Audi A3 1.4
Beer co2/ltr 62g
Audi co2/km 124g

now isn't that fascinating?

OMG ghb are you that bored :lol:

Try comparing it to a VW :lol:

259123-1443031255-wide.jpg

Plant a tree, if you drive a VW plant 3 trees:)

OMG ghb are you that bored :lol:

I'm afraid so, I've been waiting in for a delivery and i've nowt else to do and it's Friday I even rearranged the gas pipes in me fridge and installed the gas bottle on the door so that it sit above the kegs and isn't in the way when reaching in for a bottle or two.

That's a coincedence. I've a stout in the FV which has been fermenting like crazy for the past week - I made the same stout a couple of weeks ago and used some of the trub in this one buy it's didn't ferment as vigorously.

Anyway, the vigourous ferment got me wondering how much I'm contributing to global warming everytime I brew. I'd never be able to work out the maths on something like that so thanks ghb :thumb:

I keep thinking I should be able to re-use the CO2. This is mostly when I'm brewing in the chest freezer and I get a nose full of CO2 when I put my head down to check things. Really stings the nose so it must be concentrated.

I keep thinking I should be able to re-use the CO2. This is mostly when I'm brewing in the chest freezer and I get a nose full of CO2 when I put my head down to check things. Really stings the nose so it must be concentrated.

I was thinking similar. I was considering putting the blow off tube into a keg to eliminate the need to purge the air out of it. But to make the best use of it you'd need to get a sterile compressor or what ever they use to get 'raw' co2 into the bottles
Another idea conjured up during the weekend sessions of putting the world to rights was working out when to bottle/keg so that the brew can carbonate itself without the use of extra sugar or pumping gas into it.....if it is at all possible

Hmmm nearest shop to my house is about 7km round trip.

Tonight being Friday I'm having a beer.

Unless I drink 14L of my brew (unlikely) I'm technically helping the environment because I'm not driving to the shop to buy it.

Works by my logic. Cheers!

I was thinking similar. I was considering putting the blow off tube into a keg to eliminate the need to purge the air out of it. But to make the best use of it you'd need to get a sterile compressor or what ever they use to get 'raw' co2 into the bottles
Another idea conjured up during the weekend sessions of putting the world to rights was working out when to bottle/keg so that the brew can carbonate itself without the use of extra sugar or pumping gas into it.....if it is at all possible

In Germany they recycle the CO2 to force carbonate the lager. This means they are compliant with the Reinheitsgebot law that says they can only use the four ingredients of grain, water, hops and yeast. Sort of bypassing the rule a bit but essentially it is the same CO2 but from an earlier stage in the process (primary rather than secondary fermentation).

Hmmm nearest shop to my house is about 7km round trip.

Tonight being Friday I'm having a beer.

Unless I drink 14L of my brew (unlikely) I'm technically helping the environment because I'm not driving to the shop to buy it.

Works by my logic. Cheers!
If you get yourself a Bugatti Veron you'll help the environment even more as it's probably about 10KG/KM

I saw one of them once trying to get down the narrow streets of Soho. It looked ridiculous and was going slower then the pedestrians walking past it

You drive a car like that slow so everyone can see you driving it :p

I like my cars but if I had that kind of money I'd probably settle for an f-type an spend the rest on a brewery :)

You drive a car like that slow so everyone can see you driving it :p

I like my cars but if I had that kind of money I'd probably settle for an f-type an spend the rest on a brewery :)

yeah but no but yeah.. If you're trying to save the world then the more co2 you don't produce the better you'll do. So the more yer car produces the more good you'll do for the the planet by not driving it.
So if everyone had a bugatti in their garage and didn't drive it , we'd stop global warming within a fortnight.

yeah but no but yeah.. If you're trying to save the world then the more co2 you don't produce the better you'll do. So the more yer car produces the more good you'll do for the the planet by not driving it.
So if everyone had a bugatti in their garage and didn't drive it , we'd stop global warming within a fortnight.

If you lived in the north east you wouldnt complain about global warming, it never stops raining :lol::lol:

I'm from Scotland where they only have two seasons,.....Winter and the rainy season

Latest posts

Back