Any use for spent grains

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keat64

Landlord.
Reaction score
As the title suggests, other than leaving spent grains out for the birds, has anyone put them to good use.

This Q pops up from time to time. People seem to feed it to pigs and chickens. I have a park across the road from me and keep thinking about taking some to feed the swans and ducks but I never get around to it. I think you can also add a bit to dough to bake bread with too

My chickens love it, first time I threw in their usual food and then my spent grain, they didn't seem interested at first, whether the smell got them going but almost instantly they all turned and ran over to it and started making happy clucking noises.

I'm a keen bread maker using flour we mill ourselves at the watermill so I'll have to look into making bread from spent grain, I guess it might need drying and milling finer and would only be added in small amounts as the starch/sugar has gone

I would have thought you could also make some sort of porridge type dish.

Hens love the stuff and it makes the eggs taste lovely. Buying malt, making beer and giving the leftovers to the hens is not much more expensive than buying them corn either.!

I give mine to a neighbour who has chickens in exchange for a dozen eggs or so.

If its freezing cold out outside you can always make fat balls out of the grain combining it with some lard, roll into balls around some string or a wire then hang them from tree branches.

I feed it to my children. It's cheap and nutritious, and a 4kg grain bill will provide about 10 meals for two of them. They particularly like a bit of Munich malt in there. Variety is, after all, the spice of life.

I give mine to a neighbour who has chickens in exchange for a dozen eggs or so.

If its freezing cold out outside you can always make fat balls out of the grain combining it with some lard, roll into balls around some string or a wire then hang them from tree branches.

My cats are the same, so I gave my last grains to my parents to feed the birds.
It's better than just lobbing them in the bin.

Can it be dried in the oven and saved? Just curious as I've always just put the grains in the food recycling bin.

Back