advice/suggestions for altering the taste

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
right ive had a riwaka pale ale in the cornie force carbed for around 3 weeks now.tried a small glass last night and the only taste notes coming through are grapefruit,no lime and no tropical fruit notes.If im gonna drink it I need to add some other flavours to it be by dry hopping or maybe adding a campden tablet and trying maple syrup/honey to mask the overpowering taste of grapefruit,any suggestions would be good as its certainly not going down the bog :whistle:

Time will of course mellow out the grapefruit flavour if you want to just leave it (remember my soapy bitter?). But of course you might want to free up the corny so you could try adding a hop tea to it. As a no chiller, It's one of the ways I add my flavouring additions to my beers

Time will of course mellow out the grapefruit flavour if you want to just leave it (remember my soapy bitter?). But of course you might want to free up the corny so you could try adding a hop tea to it. As a no chiller, It's one of the ways I add my flavouring additions to my beers
any suggestions what hop tea myqul

I can tell you how I do the hop tea but as to what hop you'll have to decide that (or perhaps another forumite could).

What I normally do is boil about 1L of water then cool it to about 65C. Add the hops and cover. Then leave it for an hour. I then cool it down to 20C in the sink again if it hasn't already cooled down to that temp. Then I just simply add it to my FV. Usually I add the hop debris in there too. But I wouldn't do that with your corny and just pass the tea through a seive to strain the hops out

Another suggestion would be to blend the beer. You could do this in the glass. Just put half (or whatever amount you feel appropriate) of your riwaka ale in a pint glass and top up with some other beer.

I would always love to dry hop with Simcoe. I had a beer recently that smelled overpoweringly of passion fruit. It was amazing and delicious. I believe this came from the Simcoe.

Riwaka is a very overpowering hop you either love it or hate it,i personally did not like this hop how much of said hop did you use and on what brew size

It was a b/r kit Stevie but far too grapefruity for my taste and need to mellow it with something else

Like i have said i have used it before infact 2 times on my first brew i thought i way over done the hoping, several weeks later i tried it again it had mellowed a bit but still didnt like this hop, stupidly used it again on another brew using a few different hops guess which one you could taste?:whistle:

I can tell you how I do the hop tea but as to what hop you'll have to decide that (or perhaps another forumite could).

What I normally do is boil about 1L of water then cool it to about 65C. Add the hops and cover. Then leave it for an hour. I then cool it down to 20C in the sink again if it hasn't already cooled down to that temp. Then I just simply add it to my FV. Usually I add the hop debris in there too. But I wouldn't do that with your corny and just pass the tea through a seive to strain the hops out

Another suggestion would be to blend the beer. You could do this in the glass. Just put half (or whatever amount you feel appropriate) of your riwaka ale in a pint glass and top up with some other beer.
Had a blend of it today with my pimped citra hoppy copper and they go well together only trouble drinking it that way is I end up having two kegs empty at the same time,problems of a brewer eh?

Had a blend of it today with my pimped citra hoppy copper and they go well together only trouble drinking it that way is I end up having two kegs empty at the same time,problems of a brewer eh?

Well it gives you an exuse to brew more often. :lol::thumb:

I usually brew every other week but I've decided to brew every week now until all my bottles/growlers/mini kegs are full. Just means I'm going to have to drink more so I can empty them and fill them back up will more brews :mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back