Christmas brews

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
As the title...what's a nice Brew to get going in time for the festivities?
I've been having a look what's available and not wanting to hijack the Xmas pudding thread...
I'm looking for a spiced/fruit type maybe but not mind bending..around 5/6% would be OK so I can still have a few...
Choices so far....
Festival winter spiced ale, Muntons Santa winter warmer / donner and blitz, Woodfordes Admiral Reserve..
Any more recommendations?
..probably looking at a porter too.
I can almost hear those sleigh bells...

Cheers

Clint

I was just about to post the same request, any recommendations greatfully received.

Nial

I was just about to post the same request, any recommendations greatfully received.

Nial

As was I aha, great minds think alike!

Many thanks in advanced for the recommendations :smile:

Marcus

Someone last Xmas made one which was all Christmas puddingy flavoured.. I will be honest whilst I'd try one, I couldn't drink 40 bottles of that (something to consider if that is what you're after).

You could do a nice strong porter or A hearty Stout of some kind??

I am going to do a nice oatmeal stout myself.

Good point...I think the porter, stout,dark ale type may be the way to go. Plus there is a wider choice..
Woodfordes Admiral Reserve, Muntons dark galleon, ??

Cheers

Clint

I have a Christmas pudding brew on the go. To be fair I imagine having a bottle or 2 of an evening over December/Jan so hopefully I will manage the 40 pints! To be fair I really like J W Lees Plumb pudding beer which they bring out at Christmas, easily get through a few pints of that a session.

Has anybody tried the Bulldog Brews Yule Brew Cinnamon & Ginger kit?

Sounds quiet promising.

I am going to be brewing an all grain Peat Smoked Porter for the first time in the next couple of weeks. It's a recipe I found and tweaked a little that hopefully will be great for Christmas.

Just picked up Admirals Reserve...will be kicking this off shortly. ...should I sub the kit yeast for a gervin?

Cheers

Clint

...used the gervin yeast,airlock bubbling within 3 hours!

...then it stopped shortly after! The past few days has seen very little activity apart from airlock displacement and a bulging lid with a very small krausen ring visible through the bin. Temp is fairly level at 20c. Same old story (apart from my stout and wheat which both went mental!).I'll let it be and test it Saturday. ..

Cheers

Clint

I highly rate the youngs craft kits.

They aren't particularly Christmasy but the mocha porter and/or ipa may find their way into my empty pressure barrels...

Just picked up Admirals Reserve...will be kicking this off shortly. ...should I sub the kit yeast for a gervin?

Cheers

Clint

...used the gervin yeast,airlock bubbling within 3 hours!

I kicked this off on Sunday and it was bubbling by the evening and still bubbling this morning!

It looks quite a light colour from what I can see through the side of the FV. Not sure it classes as a xmas beer. But I suppose it depends what you are after and what it tastes like!

If you want a Christmas brew, look no further than the Brewferm abdij. Spectacular for a sub ��£20 beer kit in a can.

Alternatively half the water quantity in a Tom Caxtons Real ale or Dark ale kit and use two packs of a nice fruity ale yeast. Don't forget to chuck the whole pack of "hop enhancer" in there too.

I've yet to make an all grain Christmas brew, so I'm recalling some of my fondest kit beer memories.

Has anybody tried the Bulldog Brews Yule Brew Cinnamon & Ginger kit?

Sounds quiet promising.

I made this last Christmas, it's probably the least favourite beer I've made. Even my lhbs owner poured his down the drain! It's pretty much ginger beer rather than beer with a hint of ginger and cinnamon.

I think I'm going to brew a woodfordes nog for general consumption over Christmas to go with the abjdi, grand cru and old vlams bruin i made at the beginning of the year.

I made this last Christmas, it's probably the least favourite beer I've made. Even my lhbs owner poured his down the drain! It's pretty much ginger beer rather than beer with a hint of ginger and cinnamon.

Thanks for for the heads up!

just done donner n blitzed one. Would say it is just ok. Bad chill haze. I am leaving it for a month or so in the bottle to see if it improves.

just done donner n blitzed one. Would say it is just ok. Bad chill haze. I am leaving it for a month or so in the bottle to see if it improves.

Updated to say that I just had a sneeky one last nght. It has improved an awful lot. Now getting strong liquorice flavours and malt. May well be a nice winter brew in a months time:grin:

Zippy, how was the ABV on your Donner and Blitzed?

I've just started this off and it only has an OG of 1038. If I'm lucky enough to get a dark beer down to 1010 it's still only going to be 3.7%. Packaging said 5.4%.

I had the same problem when I did a Dasher the Flasher.

Quite disappointed. :-(

Latest posts

Back