Home Brew Competition - February 17

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The category for February 17 is Double IPA

Style Guidelines:

Double IPA
(Does not include IPAs as identified in the HBF IPA style guidelines)
Double IPAs should have an OG of between 1.065and 1.090 and an IBU of 60+. Beers should exhibit a hop-forward flavour/aroma typically (but not limited to) using spicy or citric hops. Double IPAs should be drier with a light to medium body. A degree of alcohol warmth is acceptable, but beers should balance the additional strength and hop forwardness with drinkability. If a Double IPA needs to be sipped, it is not a balanced DIPA!

You can see all style guidelines here: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64366

Judge: @jceg316

If you'd like to enter please send a PM to the judge who will provide you with a delivery address. Entries must reach the judge by Tuesday 28th February and feedback will be provided by PM within a few weeks. The winner will be announced on this thread.

For details of what details needs to be provided with your entry and competition rules please look at this thread: http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64349

Hells yeah! Looking forward to it. I've even brewed a couple of my own IIPAs, I won't be entering them in the competition of course, but I'll be tasting with others so would be good to get their feedback.

I have some friends interested in judging this with me, probably be 4 of us overall, I'll confirm this nearer the time as it will be the first weekend of March when we judge, for some it's a bit far in advance to make plans...

Please PM me if you'd like my address.

Good luck, and may the odds ever be in your favour.

I'm in:thumb:
Love the name of your Billy Corgan beer by the way:lol:
And how long does it normally take a iipa to be ready for drinking by the way?

I'm in:thumb:
Love the name of your Billy Corgan beer by the way:lol:
And how long does it normally take a iipa to be ready for drinking by the way?

I've only done a couple but they've been good after a couple of weeks in the bottle although got better after a little bit of time, probably peaked at about 6 weeks I'd say.

One of my favourite parts of brewing is naming the beer.

DIPAs don't take too long. As they are all about hop character it's better to drink them sooner rather than later so they don't need long conditioning times like other imperial and strong styles do.

I've only done a couple but they've been good after a couple of weeks in the bottle although got better after a little bit of time, probably peaked at about 6 weeks I'd say.

Just worried about the alcohol settling and mellowing out. I took a cheeky gravity check when doing the first dry hop and I seem to have 8.7abv on my hands!
I've a second dry hop scheduled for tomorrow. Or I could rack into a secondary for three weeks dry hop and bottle. Just scared about not being able to carb after that time??

I'm planning to make one of these next week so that's great timing! Can you PM me the address please?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I've only done a couple but they've been good after a couple of weeks in the bottle although got better after a little bit of time, probably peaked at about 6 weeks I'd say.[/QUOTE

Just worried about the alcohol settling and mellowing out. I took a cheeky gravity check when doing the first dry hop and I seem to have 8.7abv on my hands!
I've a second dry hop scheduled for tomorrow. Or I could rack into a secondary for three weeks dry hop and bottle. Just scared about not being able to carb after that time??

The alcohol mellowing would be a good thing for this style, it should not taste alcoholic. Leaving a beer for 3 weeks in 2ndary will be fine in terms of carbonation. Usually a beer needs to wait over 3 months before more yeast is needed.

I'd be interested to enter, but does a DIPA need conditioning? Would 6 weeks be sufficient?

I'm planning to make one of these next week so that's great timing! Can you PM me the address please?

Thanks.

Vic Secret by any chance :)

I'm doing mine today. Had to up the grain bill from the original recipe to fit in with the DIPA category, still managed to use up some of my older grains.

Vic Secret by any chance :)

I'm doing mine today. Had to up the grain bill from the original recipe to fit in with the DIPA category, still managed to use up some of my older grains.
How did you guess!! 😀

I'm hoping to do mine Tuesday. Running to the brewery Monday to get everything organised. Also going to do a regular IPA with it too, essentially the same just less grain. Thought it'd make a good comparible for the WBB Homebrew Club.

Quite a few people have been asking advice on how to brew this style, and I realised this is something which h should probably be added to the rules. I'd like to help out by giving tips, but feel it might be unfair on the other participants if I start giving detailed techniques on making DIPAs.

Where should the line be drawn? Or should the be a line and should judges be allowed to give as much advice as they want?

Quite a few people have been asking advice on how to brew this style, and I realised this is something which h should probably be added to the rules. I'd like to help out by giving tips, but feel it might be unfair on the other participants if I start giving detailed techniques on making DIPAs.

Where should the line be drawn? Or should the be a line and should judges be allowed to give as much advice as they want?

For me, the whole reason for the competition is to help us all improve our brewing so I think giving tips etc is a good thing and should be encouraged.

To late for me its in the bottle and conditioning!
Seriously though people should feel free to ask questions. We all just want to make great beer:whistle:

Latest posts

Back