i know its been asked before

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

houndeye

Reaction score
hi all.im going to bottle my euro lager tomorrow but want to put some into a mini keg how much sugar to prime?

Hi!
I would transfer to a bottling bucket and batch prime the whole volume before transferring to bottle or mini keg.
Brewer's Friend has a priming calculator.

Firstly I would say a lager isn't great out of mini kegs, you just can't get enough carbonation. For an ale I go around 20g in a keg, you could try a little more but I wouldn't go above 25g.

@wfr42 not sure what a heaped spoon brings to the party?

From the minikeg thread - Now people can get pickie here when it comes to how much to prime with sugar and in my case I brew lagers ALOT and iv found without weighing or being scientific that a heaped measured Tea spoon gives me spot on carbination everytime. But that's me.

Not sure how much CO2 Rob liked to use with his party star tap. It didn't seem like much to me...

Later in the thread....

Originally Posted by wheazy_joe View Post
Rob, one more question:

- did I read correctly that you prime each keg with just one tea spoon of sugar? I normally add that to each 500ml bottle so doesn't seem like a lot! Multiplying what I use up would be 10 tea spoons (Carol Vorderman here!), or around 40g which, as I understand is way too much as the kegs can't hold as much pressure as bottles. So I added 12g (around 3 tea spoons).
I do lagers and I put 3 heaped measured tea spoons in. I get good results

I usually put 12g of sugar in each MK (or 55g if I'm batch priming a 23 litre brew for MKs) ... :thumb:

... and I still get a glass full of foam from the first pint pulled from the bottom tap! :whistle:

I'm with Leon on this. Lager needs to be fizzy, so put it into bottles if you can.

Others have said MK's arent go for lagers but you dont HAVE to prime a lager high. As others have said 20g per keg is about as much as you want. You can batch prime or I often just measure out 20g and pour it into each keg seeing as you only have to do four or so

Back