Hello from York

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHart96

Reaction score
I started brewing about a year ago, I tried 3 of those big 40 pint kits but didn't have any luck at all, I don't think they were infected or anything, they tasted okay, just nothing special.

After this I moved on to doing small 1 gallon BIAB batches, and I've done about 10 or so of these with varying success. More recently I've had some quite decent batches but still haven't produced anything really good.

I've been browsing this site since before I started brewing, so I figured it was probably time to join up to keep in touch other brewers and hopefully pick up some tips along the way.

Hi and welcome. Love York and especially York Brewery! Of the 600+ documented ales I've tried York Guzzler and Snowflake are my absolute favourites :)

Thanks! Ahh yes York is a lovely place and a great place for beer! Minster Ale and Yorkshire Terrier are also excellent beers from York Brewery, next time you're up I'd recommend trying Brew York as well, they have a great tap room with a huge selection of beers, everything from classic bitters to hop bombs :)

Hey!

I think you're probably right, also, initially I'd been storing my hops poorly and fermenting a bit too warm in light places, I suspect they were my biggest mistakes.

My next brew is set to be a Big Wave clone recipe that has plenty of good reviews online, so I'm hoping for some success with that!

I'm only doing 1 gallon batches so I avoided extract because I was concerned about how well the extract might store once it's opened, do you have any idea whether extract brewing is feasible when doing 1 gallon batches.

Thanks,

Jordan

Hey!

I think you're probably right, also, initially I'd been storing my hops poorly and fermenting a bit too warm in light places, I suspect they were my biggest mistakes.

My next brew is set to be a Big Wave clone recipe that has plenty of good reviews online, so I'm hoping for some success with that!

I'm only doing 1 gallon batches so I avoided extract because I was concerned about how well the extract might store once it's opened, do you have any idea whether extract brewing is feasible when doing 1 gallon batches.

Thanks,

Jordan

It is feasible, absolutely. Especially because there is not much loss or trub.
Some simple recipes here. Dry extract should keep for at least a year (in dry storage <20ºC ). Liquid malt keeps as long as it says on the can, when opened it best should be used within 3 months.
But if you're concerned about the extract, how do you handle the hops?

It is feasible, absolutely. Especially because there is not much loss or trub.
Some simple recipes here. Dry extract should keep for at least a year (in dry storage <20ºC ). Liquid malt keeps as long as it says on the can, when opened it best should be used within 3 months.
But if you're concerned about the extract, how do you handle the hops?

Ahh yeah I was just worried about only using a quarter of a can per batch, I wasn't sure how being exposed to the atmosphere might affect it and if there was a risk of infection, but if you think it will work I'll give it a go.

I used to store the hops in my homebrew drawer, even after opening, but I heard that the hops won't last very long after being opened unless they go in the freezer, so now they're all in tubs in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back