John Bull Lager kit is dark!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithypoo

Reaction score
Has anyone had the same experience as me with John Bull Lager? My last 3 kits have been very dark, looking almost like beer. I went back to my shop and they said bring in a sample, but of course it was difficult to keep any top bring in as a sample!!
I also made a John Bull Cider and it looked like water! I'll see if I can attach any pics.

No experience of John Bull lager, but I had a Muntons Lager once that turned out as dark as an English ale before, in fact you can read my rant about it here, lol.

Apart from the colour, what was the John Bull kit like? They interest me being 1.8kg kits, suggesting they might be ok.

What I would suggest it might be his the malliard reaction. As the wort is concentrated to make a kit then the malliard reaction comes into play. As the wort gets ever more concentrated and the malliard reaction, which is also what makes the browning in food such as the brown crust on bread as it's cooked, makes your JB lager kit darker than it was before it was concentrated

I've heard of this before with the JB lager being very dark. When I've done this kit before it's been the colour it should be for a lager. whether it's a mix up when packaging the wort or a mistake when making the wort I don't know but it seems to be recurring problem.

Thanks for all your replies guys. I used to love my John Bull Lager, it was also a golden colour with a beautiful head and a fab after taste. However, the last few brews have been disappointing. Interesting what you about it being a recurring problem LarryF. I fear I may never buy JB lager again.
I have to say, Coopers Lager is a good basic plonk, adding enhancers and stuff may well improve it. I'll give it a go.
Unfortunately, I am off Ales just now as I suffer from Gout and whenever I drink Beers/Ales it just sets off an attack. However, when I stick to Lagers I seem to be fine - strange!!
Anyway, thanks again and I shall report on any new recipes I come across.

Back