Beerworks - Will's Olde English Ale

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard_H

Regular.
Reaction score
For my 7th kit i decided that i quite fancy a strong traditional English ale,having stumbled across the Beerworks kits thanks to this forum some of them really caught my eye. However reviews for the Beerworks range are rather thin on the ground so i thought i would contribute.

The main reason i chose this kit was the amount you got for your money: 4.2kg liquid malt, 60g hop pellets (30g Fuggles, 30g East Kent Goldings), 20g ale yeast, hop bag and 150g priming sugar for ��£23.50:thumb:

Started this exactly a month ago, SG was 1.058 with a fairly steady fermentation after roughly 24 hours and 2 weeks later had a steady FG of 1.012 over 3 days. So decided to bottle and 6% was perfect for what i wanted. I only used 90g of the priming sugar in my bottling bucket as i wanted a low carbonation ale, Although i never used them the instructions provided are very detailed. Decided to try a bottle last night after a trip down my local, after 2 weeks in the bottle it is still a tad young and under carbonated so will report back in 2 weeks time but the early signs are very good, a crisp and clean slightly bitter ale that is very similar in colour to an Old Crafty Hen.

So far very pleased with this kit, so much so that the fermenter currently has a Beerworks Blonde Ale currently chugging away :mrgreen:

20171009_182331.jpg

The beer works kits are great, I’ve done a few now, last one was the rocket ale (very strong but very nice), I have the new world saison conditioning and the Irish stout in the brew fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The beer works kits are great, I’ve done a few now, last one was the rocket ale (very strong but very nice), I have the new world saison conditioning and the Irish stout in the brew fridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to hear from someone who has done a few of their kits:thumb:, rocket ale will be bought next along with the double IPA or imperial stout:drink:

Thanks for the review, this is on my list to try out along with the DIPA and possibly some of their other brews.

I currently getting to the end of a barrel of their Chinook IPA which has been rather tasty. This is going to be followed with the Sheepdog's Pride which I currently have conditioning.

Did the Suffolk and really enjoyed it. Got dipa in bottles now, and their winter warmer in bottles too.

Can you confirm if both those bags are the same thing - malt extract?
If so I fancy getting a pack and using half of the kit with half a biab

Zoom in on pic, looks like a 3kg of hopped liquid extract and 1.2kg of unhopped liquid exttact

Just about to hit the 6th week mark so thought i would move a few to the fridge and tuck in, wow this is a very good kit. Hoppy, malty, bitter ale with none of those factors being overbearing so it should appeal to a wide range of homebrewers. The outcome makes for a lovely refreshing strong ale

This kit took a while to clear up and lose the homebrew twang so the 6 week rule is a must, but worth it. Also tasted my Beerworks Blonde Ale thats in the FV and that tasted superb, can see myself working my way through the Beerworks kits:drink:

20171116_195804.jpg

Latest posts

Back