H2S Smell - Is Wine Ruined?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelpImBlind

Reaction score
I am making a sloe wine, and the primary fermentation was slightly lack-luster. I think the early stage of the primary was at too low a temperature, and this resulted in a stress on the yeast, resulting in the production of hydrogen sulphide. It's pretty strong - my wife who can't smell for toffee mentioned the odour.

I have moved to a demi-john for a secondary fermentation, which is still nicely fermenting away. Is there anything I can do now to possibly limit the gas, or to help reduce it in the future? I'll probably rack it in 3 weeks - if it still smells, is it worth continuing?

Cheers!

The H2S smell is pretty common and dissipates over time, so unless it is indicative of a more serious problem such as infection, which it probably isn't, then you will be fine. :thumb:

Thanks! I saw a lot of contradictory stuff about any H2S smell being problematic, to some people saying it's a very normal occurrence during fermentation.

I had this on a blackberry wine the other month and thought oh no it's b*ggered. My wife did notice too and complained incessantly. But, by the time it had fermented out and I had de gassed and cleared it - it seemed ok. :thumb:

I have never experienced the rotten egg smell but have read about it many times here members usually say its down to stressed yeast (too little nutrient) and as FF says above it usually clears in time.

Back